Famicom Disk System unable to save

Started by FM-77, November 15, 2007, 01:48:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FM-77

Hey guys, my Famicom Disk System is unable to save. Whenever I try to create a save file in Zelda 1, it stops on the LOADING screen. I can take out the disk and it will show me a no disk error, but when I put it back in, nothing happens.

This occured yesterday when I was playing Zelda. I saved my data and it crashed. So I restarted the FDS and all the save files were gone. When I tried to make a new one, I got the error I explained earlier. I've tried cleaning the SRAM adapter connector, but it was already in flawless condition. No difference. There's  nothing wrong with the FC connector either, it loads all games instantly - no grey screens.

What could be the problem here? Is it the SRAM adapter? I checked it out and didn't see a battery in it. Does it work the same way as the PCE Duo where a capacitor powers up the SRAM chips? The FDS itself has no problem loading and playing games.

DarthCloud

Ram adapter do not store any information, it's just en interface between the disk drive and the famicom to store the game binary to avoid constanly reading the disk. Game save however is allway write and read directly from/to the disk.

So If you cannot read your game save it's that either the disk drive or the disk itself is domaged.

Are you able to save in another FDS game? If yes, it think your zelda 1 is dead. :(

FM-77

Oh! Excellent info, thank you so much. I only have one FDS game with saving capabilities so far. I will have to hope that it is the disk that's faulty. If not, any ideas what could cause the FDS to malfunction this way?

Edit: Thanks again for the info. I shaked the disk around a bit and blew in it. Now it works great. Awesome!  :)