Turbo Grafx 16 pinout and RGB?

Started by Drewman21, August 01, 2007, 03:30:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drewman21

Any one know where a guy can find the pinout of the 69? pin connector on the back of the TG16?  There used to be a site with it but it does not pop up anymore on google searches and the archive.org pages are having problems.

Second question related to the first.  I know that the PC Engine had RGB if you tapped it from the NEC chip directly but I recall seeing the pinout for the TG16 had RGB and Sync listed on the big connector on the back. Are those pins usable?  Should the RGB amp for the PC Engine be used or the n64 amp if it is better?

Thanks for any help that can be given.  I'm pumped to get this old system up and running.

Endymion

If you take composite from the chip, it's sync, take it from the port and it will be video. Use this to adjust your needs. The pages linked here already should do you fine for the video pins, the Turbolist archive had the complete set.

Drewman21

Thanks guys.  I found the old deathskull labs page on archive.org popped backup again.  So my biggest question that I have is this.  I read that the PC engine needs the amp for RGB but does the TG16 need it as much?

And second bonus question!  Does the TG16 need all the RF shielding that is on the inside?  This thing is built like a tank!  And it is all soldered to the ground ring on the board top and back. If I remove this and leave it off will i have any problems with interference without it? Thanks again for the help.

NFG

I removed the shielding from my TG16 without trouble.

Why is anyone looking for alternate sources for the TG16/PCE pinout?  Gamesx has the single most complete version of that pinout in existence, and counting the forum, has 3 versions of the RGB amp.  

And the RGB output of the TG16 and PCE are identical, the amp is mandatory.