Arcade Monitor Mod Advice

Started by Black Superman, July 17, 2007, 11:09:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black Superman

I just bought an Arcade Cabinet with the purpose of modding it to play my Saturn and Dreamcast games on it through RGB.

Once I opened it up though, it seemed a lot more intimidating and complicated than I thought. I don't know much about electronics but am willing to learn. I read the "How to Solder" guide here so I think I am ready, I just don't know how to get started.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I should look to get started? I am trying to research on the net but I can't seem to find any info on how to mod or access the wires so that I can make one of those "Custom" connectors shown on the site here. I found the JAMMA connector (I think) on the Arcade Board but I guess I am confused as to how to mod it so that I can get the "Custom" connector into it.

I also bought a soldering iron and some solder yesterday. Other than some wire, is there anything else you think I will need to complete this project.

Thanks for any help you guys can give!

NFG

Black Superman

I read the Arcade and JAMMA primers but the problem I am having is with accessing the pins on it so I can attach the custom connector.

Should I try to solder the RGB wires that will come from the consoles to the input side of the connector where the original wires come in or should I try to get some type of splitter to maintain the existing wires going into the CPS2 and use the other lead for the the wires from the console?

Or should I try to follow the video wires back to the monitor and solder there?

Also, is there any simple way to turn the CPS2 unit off but keep the monitor powered up?

These probably sound like simple questions but I really don't fully understand how this machine works so I am trying to modify it without tampering with it too much. For what I am trying to do, am I on the right track?

NFG

How you want to wire it up is up to you.  The custom 9-pin video connector on the gamesx.com site (seen in the jamma cheap link above) is designed to sort out your problem.  Put one on the wires from the JAMMA connector, put the same one on the wires from the console, and put the opposite gender on the wires going to the monitor.  Presto, easy-switch RGB connections.

Repeat for all other connections you need to share, and you're done!

antron

sounds like you need a jamma fingerboard.  you can get them for a few dollars.

s8n

Black Superman check this link out  

http://www.mameworld.net/pc2jamma/arc_dc1.html

i have followed it and have Dreamcast and PS2 running pretty well in my Cab.....

s8n

if your looking for Jamma Fingerboards these are quite good , very easy to solder onto and easy labeling.

http://www.jammaboards.com/store/jamma-fin...ard/prod_1.html