Why lock threads that are still on-topic?

Started by RobIvy64, June 19, 2007, 10:55:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobIvy64

Just curious.

It seems that if a few members try to debate different ideas and opinions, the thread gets locked.

ssf and I were still discussing the topic at hand:

Thread in question
"Console Mods" lurker

blackevilweredragon

I think it was the personal insulting part.

Though, instead of locking, a warning should have been issued, in my opinion.

RobIvy64

heh, the only thing I said that could be remotely considered as an insult would be the "it's hard to teach you anything" part.

:P  
"Console Mods" lurker

blackevilweredragon

yea, lol

even I wouldn't have been offended XD  and that's sayin something ;)

NFG

Oh, you guys totally deserved that.  That thread was raging way out of control!!  Can't you see the damage you caused?  CAN'T YOU!?

kendrick

Rob, I understand that you feel locking the thread without a warning was unfair. But the parties in question are long established members, not newbies. You guys were not debating on topic any more.

There's a reason GamesX experts are accused of elitism. We're a cut above, and we ordinarily act like it. I felt that people were acting extraordinarily out of character given their past contributions.

The rules around here are informal and lax, but that doesn't mean enforcement won't occur. There is no implied level of fairness or consistency here.

-KKC

blackevilweredragon

Wouldn't a warning have suffice though?

RobIvy64

I could understand you locking the thread if I called him a scammer with a wooden leg that has a kickstand, but that's not the case.

We were talking about the Genesis' audio hardware. He believed the audio hardware was removed in later systems, I believed that it wasn't.

If someone is wrong, weither it be he or I, its hard to correct that person and teach them new information if both parties happen to be hard-headed and reply back and forth with new information reulting in the thread being locked. Hell I might have learned something! No Z80? No YM2612? No shit!! B)

I just don't feel that the thread deserved to be locked considering we were still talking about the audio hardware in the Genesis and LaserActive.
"Console Mods" lurker

NFG

I've unlocked the thread, and I'm sure the forum will go on thriving like it has lately without any problems.  

Please do try to keep it on topic, lest we tempt Kendrick's lockfinger again.  ^_^

RobIvy64

Kendrick's Lockfinger� is usually just, but this time I felt it was unwarranted.

B)  
"Console Mods" lurker