1986 Sony PVM-1271Q help me fix it!

Started by AlecRob, April 06, 2012, 06:15:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlecRob

I recently acquired a 1986 Sony PVM-1271Q, when I power it on, the front panel lights turn on and i hear a sort of high pitched squeal and faint hissing, but the CRT does not light up.  :-[ I've tried adjusting picture, brightness, etc but to no avail. Does amybody know what could be the problem? some kind of loose connection or failed component? I'd really like to get this beast working! I'd appreciate any help.   :)

heres what the monitor itself looks like if it helps any:

133MHz

I've repaired that same monitor about a year ago. A bad main filter capacitor caused it to not power on (with the same symptoms you mentioned) until it warmed up somewhat, and then it would randomly power off. The monitor itself is quite difficult to take apart and the power supply board resides inside a metal cage which you must remove. If I remember correctly it is a 470µF 200V part.

Hope it helps!

AlecRob

Any idea where i could buy that kind of capacitor?

PVMtoni

Quote from: 133MHz on April 19, 2012, 08:46:37 AM
I've repaired that same monitor about a year ago. A bad main filter capacitor caused it to not power on (with the same symptoms you mentioned) until it warmed up somewhat, and then it would randomly power off. The monitor itself is quite difficult to take apart and the power supply board resides inside a metal cage which you must remove. If I remember correctly it is a 470µF 200V part.

Hope it helps!

Do you any tips on how did you reach the faulty capacitor?