Wii Component AND Composite cable

Started by ZDragon, January 31, 2007, 04:54:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZDragon

Okay, first time that I'm here and yea, I'm a big newbie to lots of this.

I'll come right to the topic: basically I'm using my Wii on my LCD Monitor (Acer AL2216W) over a component cable (from Madcatz) and then use a YUV->VGA-Converter to make the signal fine for the monitor.
Works like a bliss - but *only* when the converter gets a 480p signal. Because my monitor is a PC monitor and doesn't understand any kind of interlaced formats (just gives me a black screen with the message that the frequency of the signal isn't supported).

Now the problem is that both Gamecube and Virtual Console games run only in interlaced video modes. Which means that I have to plug in the standard composite cable in order to be able to play them (over a TV card), and that's totally annoying - especially because anytime I want to plug in the component cable again, I have to go to the Wii menu where you chose the video mode and then change it without seeing anything on screen because I can only select 480p once the component cable is connected again (so I always ask my brother to switch the cables while I'm on the 480p-button with the cursor, then click it and then have to somehow click "OK" without seeing *anything* on the screen. Ain't it great).

Well okay, that much about my problem. What I'd want is a cable that has BOTH component and composite outputs for the video, so that I'll never have to switch any cables again. :P

Is this possible, and if so: how? I'd prefer a way so I can still carry my Wii around - so like, no paper clips-alligator-combination :P

Thanks in advance for any kind of input!

knohbody

According to the wiki, it is possible.

Wii A/V pinout

As for how to do it, I assume you would be able to take two cables apart, remove the composite line from one (along with the pin) and insert it into the other one somehow..... Maybe.

Good luck

ZDragon

Problem is that the MadCatz component cable I got doesn't have any way to really open up the connector. It's just solid plastic, and I wouldn't know how to remove all that without breaking the cable or at least make it look super-sucky. :P

knohbody

Just found this..

Component/Composite Cable

It shows how to crack open the Nintendo cable. I've only seen pictures of the madcatz one, but it seems that the black portion on the nintendo cable corresponds to the grey portion on the madcatz one. You may be able to crack it open the same way.