what monitors can i expect to run rgb?

Started by phreak97, March 30, 2005, 01:52:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phreak97

what monitors will support regular rgb? i have a 15" in the shed with multisync printed on the front, i have a really old monitor with a db9 plug that didnt like the converter to plug into a vga plug, looked as if the vsync was way out, could it be regular rgb? also i have a "Macintosh Color Display" (db15) which came with some mac which google decided used regular rgb, i was unsuccessful in making it work though.. (it could have been that i have nothing i am sure outputs rgb)
any ideas? what does it mean by multisync? does that mean itll work with regular rgb as well as vga?

NFG

By "RGB" I assume you mean "15kHz RGB".

Almost all monitors sync to multiple signal rates, otherwise you can't change the resolution.  In this case it's probably an NEC monitor, they produced a huge range of monitors called 'multisync', but that's like saying "It's a trinitron."  It means nothing, it's not the important bit.  Get a model number.

In my experience the number of monitors that do RGB is really small.

Endymion

I don't know of any Macintosh monitors that ever did 15KHz RGB, there is an old colour monitor for the Apple IIGS that could do this however.

The Sony GVM can do both 15KHz RGB and VGA, I think up to 800x600. It sounds attractive til you see that it's a 20 inch monitor, and a resolution that low on a screen that large doesn't look so great for computer use. I've looked for NEC Multisyncs that can do 15KHz but not ever managed to find one, people seem to hang onto them. (Either that or they're so old most are dead.) It's probably better to get a "broadcast monitor," these are usually used at TV studios and don't normally do VGA but the screens are large (20, 25, 27, 30 inch) and can be picked up second-hand through ebay or wherever.

atom

http://xavier.servercove.com/~atom/backup/.../applecolor.htm
It does however need to be AppleColor, not Mac Color.  Try a potentiometer on the Sync, it worked for my snes. I also have a multisync but it no way does TV level RGB. I have given up on RGB a long time ago, cant afford a decent solution.
forgive my broked english, for I am an AMERICAN

Endymion

You should be able to get at least a 20 incher for 100-200 through ebay. That really isn't a lot to ask for an RGB monitor if you look at what a standard non-RGB TV goes for at that size. Sometimes you can even get a steal, look at this baby, 29 inch multisync (hey, I finally found an NEC multisync :) ) does composite, S-video, RGB and VGA to 1024 lines. It will probably set me back another 100 to ship via freight, I paid 400 bucks for a 27 inch Sony PVM2530 back in 1998 that couldn't do this much so that's cheap from where I stand.

Kiriko

QuoteYou should be able to get at least a 20 incher for 100-200 through ebay. That really isn't a lot to ask for an RGB monitor if you look at what a standard non-RGB TV goes for at that size. Sometimes you can even get a steal, look at this baby, 29 inch multisync (hey, I finally found an NEC multisync :) ) does composite, S-video, RGB and VGA to 1024 lines. It will probably set me back another 100 to ship via freight, I paid 400 bucks for a 27 inch Sony PVM2530 back in 1998 that couldn't do this much so that's cheap from where I stand.
Since I own one of those NEC monitors, I can tell you that they kick major ass.
S-video, composite, RGB, VGA... so almost everything you can ask for.  I have ran a bunch of game consoles on it in RGB (Neo Geo MVS,  PSX, PS2, Dreamcast, TurboDuo, and Saturn) and they all work great.

I have a picture of it running a MVS setup here:  

Kiriko

QuoteI don't know of any Macintosh monitors that ever did 15KHz RGB, there is an old colour monitor for the Apple IIGS that could do this however.

The Sony GVM can do both 15KHz RGB and VGA, I think up to 800x600. It sounds attractive til you see that it's a 20 inch monitor, and a resolution that low on a screen that large doesn't look so great for computer use. I've looked for NEC Multisyncs that can do 15KHz but not ever managed to find one, people seem to hang onto them. (Either that or they're so old most are dead.) It's probably better to get a "broadcast monitor," these are usually used at TV studios and don't normally do VGA but the screens are large (20, 25, 27, 30 inch) and can be picked up second-hand through ebay or wherever.
I own a Sony GVM-2020 monitor also.  I don't think that a PC running 800x600 is too bad.  I just wish you could change the refresh rate past 60 khz (which you can't).  One of the drawbacks of the 2020 is that it is mono only.   :angry:

phreak97

i have a 15" NEC MultiSync C500
it just looks lke a basic old 15" monitor, it has a vga cable, and thats about it.. if it supports anything other than vga, itll be via that cable.

Edit: these are the specs i got from google:
Model:                  MULTISYNC C500 (JC-15W1VMA)   
Max Resolution:         1280 x 1024   
Sync Type:         Composite, Seperate   
H Freq/ V Freq:         30-64 Khz / 50-120 Hz   
Tube Manufacturer:            
Monitor Type:         Multisync/Multiscan   
Tube Model:            
Tube Size:                  15   
Connector:               HD-15

so no, it wont do 15khz rgb :(

Endymion

QuoteSince I own one of those NEC monitors, I can tell you that they kick major ass.
I already had/have a 27 NEC CM series (I forget the actual model number), it is similar but doesn't do VGA. I got it second hand on ebay also and couldn't believe how nice the simple Composite image was. When I saw the XM I had to jump on it, I'm definitely an NEC believer now.

QuoteI own a Sony GVM-2020 monitor also. I don't think that a PC running 800x600 is too bad.

800x600 on a 20 inch screen is terrible. It's worse than terrible, it's grannyvision with enlarged fonts for myopic readers. I routinely use 1600x1200 with my 20 inch VGA screen for daily desktop work, for gaming 1024 lines is my low-end . . . even if you adjust the dpi to get the fonts to a reasonable level, everything else is just way huge. It would work fine as a mirrored screen display but I have a hard time seeing anyone comfortable with such a low res on a close-up, computer screen.

Kiriko

Well, I guess it's all a matter of preference.  I don't feel it's too bad.  But then again, I don't go using the 2020 for PC stuff.  I do feel that 800x600 is a waste on a 20 inch monitor, but I don't think it's that bad.  Hell, it could be worse.

You wanna see bad... try 800x600 on a Mitsubishi XC3315.  33 inches at 800x600 @ 60 khz, now that's bad!   I tried it once and never again will  that happen.   :unsure:  

RARusk

In addition to my Commodore 1084 monitor I own a NEC MultiSync 3D. It is a 13" monitor that can do 15-31Khz Horizontal Sync rate. It can work with all of my RGB capable game consoles like the PlayStation 2 plus it will work with my Macintosh.

However, it can go no higher than 640x480 and when in VGA, this happens with my DreamCast, the screen won't go completely to the side edges leaving a a little bit of black space between the right and left edges of the picture and the edge of the tube.

It can do Separate Sync, Composite Sync, and Sync-On-Green which makes it perfect for "Soul Calibur II" (PS2) with appropriate adaptive plugs.

I am on my second MultiSync 3D and I find it extremely useful for RGB experiments since it can do just about everything.
Console hacking is like sex. For best results you got to know where to poke.....

Martin

My PACKARD BELL 1408SE VGA monitor can sync with 15.2Khz RGB (lucky me)!
It's an old monitor and has a max res of 800x600 and a max refresh rate of 60Hz but it DOES sync with a 15.2 Khz RGB signal - which is impressive for such an old piece of junk.
[span style=\'font-size:14pt;line-height:100%\']barenakedladies[/font][/span]

exobuzz

I have an NEC 4PG

Does 15-50khz horizontal and 40-120hz vertical.
Max res 1024x768
27" crt (great for games) :D

1 RGB VGA Input (with through)
1x component input
2x svga/composite inputs (with through)

All inputs have their own photo audio inputs also for the build in amp/speakers.

It basically Rocks.. :)

Sorry. I didn't realise this was such an old thread ive bumped. Someone linked it from another forum asking a question and i just added a reply. Oops. (They linked the page in reply mode so it was too tempting not to write something)