Has any1 been able to combine Genesis & 32x in 1?

Started by Break, January 19, 2007, 12:10:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Break

Has anyone modded a 32x into a Genesis and combined it into one big uber console,similar to the never released Neptune?Is it even possible (I would imagine a tight fit)?

Segasonicfan

Nah, not really possible. The 32X is too large, you would have to have a custom case to do it.  There's not a lot of motivation out there either since most people aren't huge fans of the 32X.  I love the system but even I wouldn't invest my energy in a Genny/32X hybrid

-Segasonicfan
MY WEBSITE: https://segasonicfan.wixsite.com/retro
I design PCBs for retro game systems :)

RobIvy64

QuoteNah, not really possible. The 32X is too large, you would have to have a custom case to do it.  There's not a lot of motivation out there either since most people aren't huge fans of the 32X.  I love the system but even I wouldn't invest my energy in a Genny/32X hybrid

-Segasonicfan
I was able to squeeze one in a Genesis model 2 case, however it wasnt easy.

You have to solder ~64 wires from the edge connector of the 32x to the Genesis' cart connector.

I've done it, but it's not worth the trouble.
"Console Mods" lurker

blackevilweredragon

i think i "might" do this to my model 1...  I got the time, and patience for it..

only problem, i'd need two power bricks still, wouldn't I?   (unless I can get a very high amperage supply and internally split it..)

Breakpack

What about gutting a model 1 and adding the board from a model 2 into it,and freeing up some space,unless the controller ports and cart slot don't line up right.

blackevilweredragon

they wouldn't line up, but that doesn't stop one from "relocating"..

but who would want too?  the model 1 motherboard was far better than the model 2 board..

Lost Monkey

QuoteWhat about gutting a model 1 and adding the board from a model 2 into it,and freeing up some space,unless the controller ports and cart slot don't line up right.
I had a project where I did this in a 2600 case - but I could never get the thing to work 100%.

It is currently in a box in my basement - I didn't have a multimeter at the time so I got really frustrated testing my solder connections repeatedly...

Maybe I can dig this out soon and have another go at it...

Don't leave Kepone!

Breakpack

QuoteWhat about gutting a model 1 and adding the board from a model 2 into it,and freeing up some space,unless the controller ports and cart slot don't line up right.
I had a project where I did this in a 2600 case - but I could never get the thing to work 100%.

It is currently in a box in my basement - I didn't have a multimeter at the time so I got really frustrated testing my solder connections repeatedly...

Maybe I can dig this out soon and have another go at it...

Don't leave Kepone!
That sounds kinda kool.You'd have to widen the cart slot,right?And add a place for the Sega CD expansion.Maybe put a Sega cd in a 7800 case :D

Welcome back,CPUWIZ

Segasonicfan

sweeet.  I wish there were pics of the inside :(  I wonder if he used a non-genny 2 mobo.  The work to do that must be SUCH a pain..I can't imagine anyone loving 32X THAT much (and I love 32x!)

-Segasonicfan
MY WEBSITE: https://segasonicfan.wixsite.com/retro
I design PCBs for retro game systems :)

thumpin_termis

That is a seriously sweet mod.  And actually, rest of his site has some great mods to other classic console systems.   It's all in Korean, though... (and fortunately enough for me, I can read it!)

야~ 이런 멋진 개조도 가능하구나...
덕분에 정말 오랫만에 재밌는 사이트를 봤습니다.  

Endymion

I'd ask for a translation, but it doesn't appear there's anything in the way of a walkthrough of the work. I love the 32X enough to do it, just too much of a dufus to manage it. Looks real sweet.

blackevilweredragon

yea, this is a mod i'd love to do too...  To a Genesis 1..  makes putting a cartridge in easier without the extra height...

Breakpack

Good grief I'm in heaven!I'd LOVE a mod for my 32x Genesis combo!That is awesome!!!!!! :wub:  

Epicenter

Quotesweeet.  I wish there were pics of the inside :(  I wonder if he used a non-genny 2 mobo.  The work to do that must be SUCH a pain..I can't imagine anyone loving 32X THAT much (and I love 32x!)

-Segasonicfan
In an MD2 case? I highly doubt he used anything else. The board would be almost twice as wide with an MD1 one. He could've used an MD3 one, but I don't believe Korea ever got those. There are MD ASICs like those used in the handheld 'TV game' MD systems from Radica, and some odd Official Bootlegs by Tectoy/Majesco in Brazil-- they could be likely wired up to the 32X and all the video overlay connections made properly in a very small amount of space. The PCB for an MD-on-a-Chip is pretty much the size of a controller. Quite versatile.
- Epicenter
Epic Gaming Admin