What Type of Wire whould I use to make my mods???

Started by Segasonicfan, December 29, 2003, 07:41:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Segasonicfan

I've been using copper and aluminum wire for my mods (cause some guy at Radio Shack said they should work) but I don't think they are carrying the voltage at all (as in both my attempted Genesis and Nomad mods), does anybody know they correct type of wire I should use.  I really need to know...Thanks!

-Segasonicfan
MY WEBSITE: https://segasonicfan.wixsite.com/retro
I design PCBs for retro game systems :)

NFG

Wire is wire, if it's metal you're using the right stuff.

Scared0o0Rabbit

QuoteWire is wire, if it's metal you're using the right stuff.
You probably want your metal wire to have a rubber or plastic wrapping on it as well, otherwise you could be in a world of hurt.

Feeling Scared? ^_~

mattthemodder

For some mods that really stiff wire can be useful. But then when you put the casing on you'll proly find that it won't fit and they'll be a b1tch to move again, and with flexible it will get in the way. Blue Tac is the key :lol:

Talasonic

You should probably only use copper wire.  I would buy cat-5 solid network cable, and take it apart to get the individual, insulated strands.  This is very cheap, because there are 8 strands in the jacket, and it's flexible.  If you can't find it for free, you can get 50 or 100 feet of this or cat-3 at home depot.  Either would be fine.  

What you don't want is normal phone wire, because it's too thick and stiff.  22 guage is prolly the biggest you want, 24 being smaller and better.  

NFG

I get most of my mod wire from either ribbon cables in old PCs (floppy + HD cables) or in serial/parallel/SCSI cables, which hold some lovely colour-coded stranded wire.

The solid-core as found in phone + LAN cabling is tricky to work with as it is very stiff, but because it's solid and narrow you can attach it to tinier points.  Stranded wire absorbs more solder and adheres to new surfaces more quickly, but you'll have trouble with the strands peeling if you're not good with the soldering iron yet.

Segasonicfan

yeah...ive noticed that about stranded wire :/   im getting pretty good with the soldering iron though (minus dropping it on the carpet and setting my elbow on it...lol) so i tend to prefer the stranded stuff .  pain when it splits though xp

thanks guys,
-segaosnicfan
MY WEBSITE: https://segasonicfan.wixsite.com/retro
I design PCBs for retro game systems :)

dark_link

try using an old psx controller wire

you can get them cheap at a game store