Will a Model 1 Sega CD..rattle?

Started by GZeus, October 26, 2006, 07:29:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GZeus

Both of the ones i ordered from someone(jackass...) on ebay rattle.
If this is a problem and an easy fix... let me know.

If it's normal, please do the same.

blackevilweredragon

Don't call someone a jackass..  Give them the benefit of the doubt, because shipping can be dangerous..

NFG

I'm all for calling jackasses jackasses when they're jackasses.  

As for rattly SGCD units, open it up and see what's rattling.  Could be a design flaw, could be crackers or mints slipped through a hole, who knows?

kendrick

It's worth mentioning that even the Model 1 Sega CD units have floating read head and spindle mechanisms that might make some noise. They can handle displacement consistent with shipping, but if you're shaking it back and forth enough to hear it rattle then there might actually be something loose. Most likely, you have something structural inside that's broken off. Like Lawrence says, you won't know until you open it to check.

-KKC, who can't get logged on to Phantasy Star Universe.

GZeus

Ah, good. I eventually got ONE to work(neither would open at first) by opening it up(carefully removed the lid and sheild) and opening and closing the droor until it was in the correct position.
The other worked fine with a jiggle of the cord, but you have to close the tray by hand, or it ejects it again...

Well, that's what I get for buying without a guarantee.

They were bastards throughout the process, and it seems every time they sell something that's not a cartridge or an AC adaptor it's shipped late, poorly packed(these were each either wrapped in one piece of paper or stuffed in a plastic bag(why bother???), and broken.

GZeus

If you don't know what you're doing...don't try to fix a CD drawer....
I'm sad.
at least one is 90%.