Sega CD: It's just black.

Started by Guest_CZroe, October 22, 2006, 11:10:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guest_CZroe

I forget where I got this thing from... Probably Goodwill or a friend gave it to me knowing that it doesn't work. The connectors between the system looked extremely oxidized but the more black gunk I got off with alcohol and cotton swabs, the more oxidized it looked.

When I turn it on, all I get is a black screen. Is there supposed to be a BIOS, boot screen, memory manager, or something? I've tried a random SegaCD game and audio CDs but I get nothing.

I visually inspected the inside and didn't see anything out of the ordinary. No fuses or anything either, so if something got fried I hope it wasn't important.

The 32X works perfectly, but I wish I had something else to test in the Genesis expansion slot.

blackevilweredragon

it should show the sega CD bios, with an earth on it, with sega and the CD logo flying around...

which model sega cd is it?  could try checking the fuse..  those blow a lot..

the power supply for the sega CD works, right?  (do not use a 32X power supply in it, wrong polarity..)

It's a top-loader and I looked for fuses when I opened it up a few years ago. My PCB is different from another with a similar problem on these forums (wow! I totally forgot I participated in that discussion). They bypassed something that looked like a resistor mounted vertically, but mine is so different that it has three of them. I think I'll try shorting them one at a time until I get something, but I have this strange feeling that they are not fuses.

blackevilweredragon

you got the same revision I do..

it's on the bottom, it's the oversized surface mounted thing that looks like a resistor, but is white..

GZeus

I've not tried them yet(may have to considering the bastardo the guy on ebay I purchased from is being), but Sega-parts fixes sega CDs...

GZeus

The ones I've ordered from ebay have the same problem.
But there's another thing... Rattle.
They both make soticable sounds when turned over.
Not sure if the (jackass) guy I bought them from sold me broken ones, or just packed them so poorly they broke.
TERRIBLE packing...

blackevilweredragon

Did you check the power supplies?  That's an overlooked item..

NEVER plug in a Genesis 2 power adapter into a Sega CD.. NEVER plug in an NES power plug either..  ALSO, never a 32X power adapter either..

Only Sega CD or Genesis 1 power supplies can be used...

GZeus

Mine was a non-working Sega CD power supply. Swapped the supply into the Genesis, and TADAAA, it no worky alone.
wiggle it, and everything works...
Though one of two's drawer has to be forced the first CM out...