Xploder HDTV

Started by RARusk, October 16, 2006, 02:25:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Endymion

Unless they make the VGA cable available at the same "coming soon!" pacing that they made Xploder available with, could easily be another six months in that case. ;)

I'm also having the same prob as Chris G. It just wont load at all...

Krueger

QuoteI'm also having the same prob as Chris G. It just wont load at all...
My PS2 tells me to insert a PlayStation or PlayStation 2 format disc?!?! It just won't load..

What the heck is wrong? Is my disc messed up? Cause all of my other games works perfectly with my PS2

raphsing

PS2 in vga are bad =(

I need to run it in my TV, but this shit called XPLODER don't run in my PS2 ...

Many people said that can only run ORIGINAL DISKS.

what now??

Do you know another way to apply the progressive scan for all the ps2 games?

my tv accept many resolutions except 720p !! :blink:

As I see the other resolutions only scratch the screen  :lol:

If the PS2 accept these resolutions, why did SONY didn't put this options in the PS2 bios??

Endymion

Brace yourself dude.

The wonderful product that is the Xploder?

It only runs ORIGINAL DISCS.

Raphsing

wonderful??

I can't see where it is wonderful

Endymion

It's pretty awesome on my PS2s and Plasma HDTV. :)

Raphsing

<_<

so, show mor pics to us!

that game that you show I didn't know,  :lol:

and help us to play it in our ps2 . my TV supports hd tv !!

:)

Endymion

Does your PS2 support original discs? ;)

How about an original Xploder?

Black Superman

I had a question that maybe someone here can help me with. I was thinking about buying the Xploder with the VGA cable from the UK website to use with a  widescreen computer monitor.

Do you know if their VGA cable will work with most widescreen monitors or does it need to be a special "synch on green" monitor?

Will this setup play my PS2 games in 4:3 correctly because I can't see how you would be able to adjust the aspect settings on a monitor unless it was hooked up to a PC?

Will my PS1 games play on the PS2 through the monitor? I don't mind if they don't look better but I do want them to at least look as good as they do on my Tube TV.

Should I just go ahead and get an HDTV and forget about trying to play my games on a computer monitor?

Thanks. Any help would be appreciated!!

my ps2 only accept generics :rolleyes:  

qz33

Hey Endymion,
I am thinking of getting the xploder for christmas but I only have a computer monitor to use.  Have you (or anyone else) tried a computer monitor?  Think it would be worth it?

Also how can I figure out if my monitors support sync on green?

Endymion

I haven't used the Xploder with a computer monitor--only with my plasma set.

I do not have the Xploder VGA cable that is now available--but I do have the previous Blaze cable. The photos of the Xploder cable appear identical to me. If it is the same on the inside, then it will have to use a sync-on-green monitor, but please do not count on me as some kind of definitive source. I don't have that cable and do not plan on getting it.

My plasma TV accepts 15KHz RGB as well as 31KHz. It accepts component of course, but what's nice about this particular set is that it can accept the RGB or VGA over the same lines that it takes component, so I have been able to use the VGA modes with it that way. Because it is an HDTV monitor, I have extensive control over the geometry and placement of the screen. That is the only thing that makes VGA very usable. If you try to use this on a computer screen, you will want the same kind of control over the geometry and positioning. You get the chance to set the screen position with the software, but for some games and some settings, you may need more. Also, some games do not sync properly at different rates (75KHz, 85KHz, etc.), using VGA at those sync rates/resolutions makes the game run too fast and often unplayable.

So in short, you can use VGA, and it does work fine, but I do not see most LCD screens that are not also HDTVs having the kind of controls necessary to stretch the screen image and give you the the full image in the proper ratio that you would want--even if that proper ratio is 4:3. It's nice that it works with VGA, but I wouldn't use it in VGA for most games, and probably not at all if I didn't have a CRT to use it with. You might just have the kind of LCD screen that would work well in VGA, but do you want to roll that dice and be pissed about it later? You're a lot surer to get a good, working setup with an HDTV using y-pb-pr.

qz33

well what I have is  a crt
its pretty cheap, but it has SEVERAL controls for geometry (pincushion,H size, Vsize, trapezoid etc.)  I have used the x2vga and xbox 360 vga cable and I am very happy with both.  (at least if I turn the brightness down on the monitor with the 360)

Your plasma sounds GREAT.  Im sure it is a rare find.  What brand\model is it?

Endymion

With almost any CRT you will surely have the kind of flexibility to centre and stretch the PS2 image where it needs to be. You are covered there. The only question mark is whether this new cable gives sync-on-green or if it is standard VGA. Everybody seems to ask about this everywhere but not a soul has yet bought it and reported back, on any forum I read. ps2-scene.org has a great thread on how to add a sync stripper though, and there was a very good walkthrough in a still-googlable page on how to build a VGA cable or dongle converter from a component cable if you care to have a go.

My set is the Panasonic TH-50PHD8UK, the high-end model from last year. Not really just an HDTV, it is marketed to video professionals, which is one of the reasons that it has the features that it does. No speakers, no tuner, and removable slots for various inputs. Which reminds me, I still need to get an HDMI/DVI card to install.

RARusk

Today I went looking around EB Games and lo and behold - Xploder HDTV. I wasn't even looking for it. Just looking to see if they had any cool cheap games.

So I snagged it. I have tried it out on five games so far.

"Bully" looks fantastic in 640x480 (VGA). "Grand Theft Auto III", "Grand Theft Auto: Vice City", "Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas", and "Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories" also looked relatively good but had one minor issue. The opening title screens for each of those titles are FMV and they weren't meant for Progessive Scan. So they crap out a bit while playing. But once you get past that then there are no additional issues.

Will play around with additional titles later.
Console hacking is like sex. For best results you got to know where to poke.....

Endymion

Crap out how? A few titles with prerendered cinematics (which are basically movie recordings) still show their inherent combing in some games, but a few titles have problems syncing the fields into a single frame--they seem to be doing it but it is misaligned somehow. The ones I spotted that did this were Virtua Fighter 4 (the original one, Evolution is perfect) and the two Devil May Cry 3 games, there may be others but those were the only three in my nearly 200-game collection so it seems a rare problem.

Play Metal Gear Solid 2 on this if you have it, you'll be shocked how much more beautiful it is. MGS3 is perfect as well.

RARusk

"A few titles with prerendered cinematics (which are basically movie recordings) still show their inherent combing in some games"

That's probably the problem here. The main title screens, with the Rockstar logo and opening game credits, are prerendered and are having this problem. But when you get past those and into the game loading screens (and into the game itself) then the games look pretty good with no issues to speak of (so far).

I don't have either the MSG2 or MGS3 games so I am unable to try your suggestion. But I do have "Rumble Roses".....  :P  
Console hacking is like sex. For best results you got to know where to poke.....

Endymion

Rumble Roses appeared to have the frame-mesh problem, but that ceased once I actually started playing. Thing is, I am pretty sure that the bits I was seeing which were not aligning properly were not prerendered, but whatever, once the actual game started it was perfect. :)

(P.S. Get MGS2/3. :P )

Raphsing

:blink: and about the generic cds?