Need Help modding Genesis 2

Started by xxHennersxx, October 03, 2006, 06:40:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xxHennersxx

I need help, and can't find a good tutorial anywhere.

I want to mod a genesis 2 to play Japanese games. I'm located in the US so a PAL/NTSC switch is unnessicary.

Can anyone be so kind as to walk me through? I heard it's something about connecting a switch to a set of jumpers but thats the most i can find.

if you can message me on AIM at XxHennersXx It coudl be quicker than checking on this forum.

thanks.

kendrick

X, please have a look at the region mod page on the main GamesX site. Here's a link:

http://www.gamesx.com/importmod/gen2import.htm

Those instructions are comprehensive and cover most of the hardware variants. You'll need some basic soldering and wiring skills. Good luck.

-KKC, still unpacking giant robot toys.

XxHennersXx

It skips the Genesis 2 Model...unless a Genesis 2 can be modded the same way as another model, if so which one is it?

NFG

Yeah, it's been a blindspot on the site for a while now.  every other variant but the one you want.  =(

As far as I know the jumper numbers are the same as the MD1 and Nomad, aren't they?

XxHennersXx

I haven't looked, I don't want to open it untill I'm ready to work on it.

So walk me through how it's done please? the "tutorial" is pretty vauge. I'm really used to step by step instructions.

blackevilweredragon

I used this page for the mod..

http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/console/sega/md2switches.htm

On mine, however, it wasn't so complex..  For example, with pin 107 cut, and connected to NOTHING, it defaults to ENG mode, where just simply grounding it puts it in JAP mode..

XxHennersxx

blackevilweredragon

Quotehttp://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/console/sega/md2switches.htm

And this is the same on an American Genesis 2?
Mine is an american Genesis 2...  Just read what I said mine did, which was less complex, if it doesn't work for you like mine did, then complete the steps...

XxHennersXx

ok, so lift pin 107

connect wire to middle pin of switch

and solder where the race ends to another end of the switch?

tell me if i missed any steps.

blackevilweredragon

Quoteok, so lift pin 107

connect wire to middle pin of switch

and solder where the race ends to another end of the switch?

tell me if i missed any steps.
What I did, was solder the next pin on the switch to ground...

Slate

I heard that all you have to do is widen the cartridge slot, But i never tried it on any of my genesis units.

Widen the slot is also needed when you want to play JP stuff, JP carts are different.

GZeus

I needed the rest of this info, but I don't need to widen  my cart slot, as I don't even have a case on my Genesis 2...
Leaves it wide open for crazy mods and allows me more odd interconnects.

Sensato

I personally do not especially like mods requiring you to lift pins from ICs or microcons. I broke a few chips in the beginning, I guess that's the reason. :unsure:

For the Gen region switch, I'd rather isolate the +5 trace (on the other side of the board) from pin 107. Then, link a switch from pin 107's "test point" to ground and +5.

FM-77

QuoteOn mine, however, it wasn't so complex..  For example, with pin 107 cut, and connected to NOTHING, it defaults to ENG mode, where just simply grounding it puts it in JAP mode..
It's the same on every model. That guide appears to contain some misinformation.