News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

N64 RGB

Started by Joe Redifer, August 16, 2006, 03:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Redifer

I did the simple RGB mod for the N64 (straight from the U4 VDC chip to the output) and the picture looks a little dark, or maybe "blah" is the better word.  I am using a SNES RGB SCART cable which has resistors and capacitors on the end.  Should I get another SNES SCART cable and remove those?  Or has anyone figured out a good transistor to install inline to boost the signal?

I don't know if it is really worth it, though.  I can't really tell any difference between the RGB and S-video on the N64 as far as clarity goes.  But that may be because the N64 has really blurry and subdued (in my opinion) graphics.

Endymion

Here is a great page on the N64 mod. It shows a couple of ways you can deal with the amp problem, a quick and dirty way, and a more complete and surer way. You can try one, if it doesn't take care of it well enough for you then try the other.

Edit: Here's mmmonkey's amplifier. Is this the same one that the PC Engine uses?

kripp

I used the quick and dirty amplification method for my Nintendo 64, I think it works and looks great. I added a switch to the console for the amplification, so if I get another RGB monitor and it looks bad one way or the other, I can just disable it and use another amplification method!

Shadow_Zero

Is the amplifier always needed, or does it depend?
(and if it depends, on what does it depend?)

Endymion

. . . depends on whether or not you have a dark picture when you are done. If you read the page it tells you that if you do not lift the legs from the board then you will be more likely to have a darker image.

Shadow_Zero

But if you lift them you have a chance of interference?
This WILL happen or CAN happen?
And how does it manifest? Scrambled image?

viletim!

Shadow_Zero,
The N64 DAC wan not designed to directly drive a TV/monitor's input. It seems most people agree the picture will be too dark unless you turn up the contrast on your monitor.

Shadow_Zero

I understand, but I'm trying to figure out what method is the best way to mod  :)
Lifting the legs with method 1 seems to be no option, if the screen WILL be too bright and/or have interference, right?

Endymion

If you search this forum you will find people who have done this very thing. The image is the proper brightness but gets overbright or shows interference when certain colours or images occur, like a bright flashing for instance. I remember one person mentioned that it caused the whole screen to flicker white for an instant. I can't recall if he found a way to fix that or if he just lived with it, but the bright-level problem was fixed and he was happy with that. It isn't like a constant interference or anything. Some sets may be more sensitive to this than others, so depending on your equipment lifting the legs might be fine for you. (Note how the guy who wrote up the schematic in the gamesx tutorial said he has a bright signal with no problems.)

Shadow_Zero

Ah, ok!
But then again, the GamesX info is pretty old and the person might not have tested it thoroughly (e.g. not coming across screens which cause the interference). Who knows?

But if I recall correctly, lifting the legs also shuts down the ability to connect s-video and composite right?

Endymion

You would be correct. If you were really the shiznit you might get similar results without shutting down other outputs by tapping the legs on the chip without removing them (i.e. not from the board), but ymmv.