dropped N64, now it's slow

Started by blackevilweredragon, September 07, 2006, 02:20:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackevilweredragon

I dropped my N64 by accident.. was cleaning, and it fell off the speaker, and it's developed a pretty weird problem..

it's running SLOW...  the music plays fine, but the graphics are choppy, as if the CPU speed was cut in half..  (frame rate goes from 30 to 15, or 60 to 30)..

Also, while the music does play fine, in F-Zero X, the temp is slowed down too...

what happened, and any ideas on how to repair it?

-Martin-

QuoteI dropped my N64 by accident.. was cleaning, and it fell off the speaker, and it's developed a pretty weird problem..

it's running SLOW...  the music plays fine, but the graphics are choppy, as if the CPU speed was cut in half..  (frame rate goes from 30 to 15, or 60 to 30)..

Also, while the music does play fine, in F-Zero X, the temp is slowed down too...

WHy don't you start by opening it up and taking a look? :huh:  

blackevilweredragon

QuoteI dropped my N64 by accident.. was cleaning, and it fell off the speaker, and it's developed a pretty weird problem..

it's running SLOW...  the music plays fine, but the graphics are choppy, as if the CPU speed was cut in half..  (frame rate goes from 30 to 15, or 60 to 30)..

WHy don't you start by opening it up and taking a look? :huh:
i got a gamebit driver coupled days ago, and did actually do this..  i saw no visual problems, and don't know what to check..

Ismail Saeed

While I have no special expertise on the inside of the N64, I would think that the sound was handled by a different processor from the main processor... as it is on the SNES and most other consoles I can think of after the NES.  That could be why sound is "okay" usually though the regular execution isn't.

Have you been able to see the main processor on the motherboard?  Does it look the same as on photos of the motherboard? Are any connections snapped or bent, or does it appear to have taken any physical fatigue when compared with a neutral photograph of the same processor?  I'd almost think that the connection with the CPU is not fully there and okay, for it to be operating but to have intermittent data transfer while doing so.