News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

NES sound

Started by Ismail Saeed, September 06, 2006, 01:36:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ismail Saeed

Even if that's true, I do need to find out what's going on between the cap and the 7404, and the fact that the audio plug is showing me full resistance in the power box might be a problem too even after I address the cap and 7404, or it might go away once I do so.

This thread has gotten so long that I'm pretty sure anyone new is dissuaded from chiming in upon reading it.  So I have you and Nuuma, and you have a real NES while Nuuma has a famiclone that may or may not have the same parts at this point in the signal path.  Would you be willing to test the voltages on the cap and the 7404 to see if this .02 is regular?

Alternatively if the famiclone also uses a 7404 with a cap passing the audio signal to it, that cap/7404 could be tested.

blackevilweredragon

I don't know how to test caps, I hear it takes big equipment to do that, sadly...

I will try and take my NES apart later today, right now, I'm still just waking up, with a massive neck pain..

Ismail Saeed

Whoa whoa whoa, don't take it apart.

All my friend did was test the voltage with a multimeter.  Ground on one wire of the multimeter, and putting the other wire to each leg of the cap in turn.

Also see the voltage on the unamped pin vs. the voltage on the amped pin for you.

But that's later later later.  Do a normal day here first.

Thanks.

blackevilweredragon

I'm trying to remember what my multimeter said when measuring the caps in my old Commodore 64..  I remember the reading was out of wack, but the caps were just fine..

Ismail Saeed

So, uh, what's the word?

Ismail Saeed

Are Nuuma and blackevilweredragon still around?

If not, does anyone have an NES that they can test the above capacitor and 7404 on?  I need a voltage test, as mentioned on this page of the thread, of the two legs of the capacitor that sends sound into the 7404 and of the unamped pin and amped pins of the 7404.

I need to see if .02 results are normal.

Ismail Saeed

Also... I still want to see if .02 results are normal and if I can address the fault in the system so that I can go back to using its normal external audio plug, but let me ask this while I'm at it:

Is this exactly what I'd be looking for if I decided to just make a workaround?

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.js...rentPage=search

(I'm not terribly interested in stereo separation on the NES, and this seems to take two audio points and combine them into one RCA connection)

Ismail Saeed

Anyone still here?  I'm just looking for anyone who can tell me if the capacitors should be giving the voltages shown above.  You don't even need to read this whole thread, just this latest page.

I have some workarounds in mind, but I do want to see if certain components are faulty by seeing if their readings are what they should be or not.