Get rgb directly from the motherboard?

Started by rhubarb505, August 05, 2006, 02:00:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rhubarb505

I'm planning on modding my genesis and snes (duh) to output rgb. (an original snes, not 2) I found pinouts for the a/v outputs on both systems, but even with an entire afternoon of googling I couldn't find out which pins are which on the motherboard itself.

If anyone has this handy I'd really appreciate it. I don't have anything that will accept scart so I cant just buy a cable, and I'm too lazy to put wires into the jack or splice and mod an a/v cable or anything like that.

viletim!

Steal/borrow a multimeter, set the big switch on the front to continuity mode, then touch the two probes together...it beeps. YES! The pins on the connector conduct electricity too. Now you can find out yourself.

rhubarb505

I appreciate the spirit of this board in encouraging newbies to look inside and find out for themselves. However I know how these things work, and I know that the connecter conducts electricity too. Hell I even have a multimeter. What I don't know is how to put the information from the meter to good use.

guess its back to google for me.

NFG

So you have the tool, and you know how electricity works, but you're too stupid to shove one probe into the connector and poke the bottom of the motherboard until you hear a beep?

Dude.

Think it through, it's not hard.  Next you'll be asking how to open the system, 'cause you have a screwdriver, and you can see how it fits the screws, but the next step eludes you.  ;)

(I don't imagine there's any way this'll fail to be perceived as rude...  ah well.)

Endymion

Yeah, geez. And what's with this "I don't have a SCART TV so I can't just buy a cable" business? You think it's easier to mod the console board and not a cable?

FM-77

I'm not sure what you're trying to do here.. "I'm planning on modding my genesis and snes (duh) to output rgb."

The Genesis AND the SNES natively output RGB, so all you need to do is get/make an RGB cable for these systems and mod the cable itself if you don't have a TV with RGB.

rhubarb505

QuoteI'm not sure what you're trying to do here.. "I'm planning on modding my genesis and snes (duh) to output rgb."

The Genesis AND the SNES natively output RGB, so all you need to do is get/make an RGB cable for these systems and mod the cable itself if you don't have a TV with RGB.

I know...

I'm trying to do the same type of thing I did with my dreamcast. Just solder some wires onto the motherboard. Then find the right plug for my tv, connect the wires, and I have rgb.

Lawrence, don't exaggerate.

I think its time to buy a new multimeter. I had to get my dad to buy the one I have now, so naturally he got the cheapest one possible, and I don't think its  suitable for this task.

I'm beggining to think that this board isn't very begginer friendly, all I wanted to know was if anyone had this info handy, to save me a little work.

blackevilweredragon

QuoteI'm not sure what you're trying to do here.. "I'm planning on modding my genesis and snes (duh) to output rgb."

I know...

I'm trying to do the same type of thing I did with my dreamcast. Just solder some wires onto the motherboard. Then find the right plug for my tv, connect the wires, and I have rgb.

Lawrence, don't exaggerate.

I think its time to buy a new multimeter. I had to get my dad to buy the one I have now, so naturally he got the cheapest one possible, and I don't think its  suitable for this task.

I'm beggining to think that this board isn't very begginer friendly, all I wanted to know was if anyone had this info handy, to save me a little work.
Even a cheap one will be find...

Mine don't beed, but it does have resistance checking..  What I do, have it check resistance, and if it's the wrong pin, it says "1", if it's the right pin, it says "0"  (no resistance, so it must be the right pin)..

rhubarb505

QuoteSteal/borrow a multimeter, set the big switch on the front to continuity mode, then touch the two probes together...it beeps. YES! The pins on the connector conduct electricity too. Now you can find out yourself.
Okay, I googled what continuity mode does (now the name makes sense) once I get a decent multimeter I use the a/v pinout to find which pin is which on the motherboard.

Thanks

rhubarb505

Mine don't beed, but it does have resistance checking..  What I do, have it check resistance, and if it's the wrong pin, it says "1", if it's the right pin, it says "0"  (no resistance, so it must be the right pin)..
That, however, will work with my crappy meter, all I needed to know.

atom

Yes, you will likely be teased around here when your new. Stick it out and you can learn a lot.
forgive my broked english, for I am an AMERICAN