Questions from a n00b at... everything.

Started by sgrif, November 29, 2006, 05:19:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sgrif

Alright, my first post here. I've been reading the wii component cable hack, and I figured this might be a good place to start to figure out how to do my next "project." I'm likely way out of my league here, but hey, we'll see. Bear with me here. I tend to ramble a bit with stuff like this.

I was searchign for the perfect xmas gift when I stumbled across this.

Of course this happened today, so I'm SOL on getting one from target, so I immediately proceeded to buy 10 of them on ebay for $25. Now I'm thinking of what to do with them and I thought, hm... A virtual picture frame would be pretty cool. Googling brought me to something pretty similar. So anyway, I've decided to make these for my friends. I can't really find where to buy the screen and board used on that website, so I'm wondering if I'd be able to make them myself. I really have no idea where to start on this, so any help would be appreciated. I've got a month, and I'm willing to learn if anyone here knows much about this and would be willing to teach or at least point me in the direction of success. Also, I figure I'll probably have to hook it up to a computer to have it work, so I'd like to go in that direction not have a chip inside it do that work.

The second idea of mine is a lot simpler, and I may not need to do it at all. A bunch of my friends and I got the money to buy a wii and Zelda for one of my friends who is a huge Zelda fan. However, we are now facing the reality that we may not be able to get a hold of one in time. If that happens, I'd like to put the money on the card, install a speaker, and have the button also play that doo doo doo dee doo doo sound you get when you solve a puzzle in Zelda, or the original NES song. I don't really care about the quality of the speaker considering that it's NES sounds and all.

Thank you to anyone who took the time to read this far.

If you actually have a reply... Have my babies you're that cool. Thanks again, I can't wait to see my friends faces when I finish this.

Oh, and because I know it'll come up my skills in programming go about as far as basic Java and basic basic. I'm 16 years old, so I tend to forget these kinds of things, but whatever it takes to do this, right?

Guest_CZroe

They're pretty neat gift cards, but the quality is lacking. Only about one in five light with a simple push and the others require a much harder press. None of mine stay lit for the same amount of time... some are over five seconds longer! While searching for another "easy to press" one, I came across one and tried to purchase it. I lit it one more time just in time to discover that it was stuck "on" (defect) just before the cashier was going to scan it. i got a different one instead.

Yesterday I got one of their MP3 player gift cards but I already gave it to a friend. They can slap those codes on anything and make it a GC! DO NOT buy cards from eBay that have an unspent balance.