how i use a component selector box for rgb systems

Started by acem77, July 04, 2006, 02:53:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

acem77

i ordered a bunch of needed scart cables for the special connectors for systems like snes,saturn ect,
http://www.lik-sang.com/search.php?query=rgb

some sytems i just have a custom db9 on.(nes,3do,cdi,duo ect)

i then bought a bunch(12+) of component xbox 360 cables dirt cheap on ebay.
360 cables are the only ones with 7(r,g,b,sync,left,right,gnd) conductors because they keep the composite line.

i hacked off the scart connector on the scart cables and hacked off the 360 connector on the 360 component cable.
used the r,g,b on the component cable as r,g,b from the systems and used the yellow(composite) as sync and right and left for sound. then i used the shield as ground.

now i just have all my rgb systems hooked up to a pelican component selector box.
the out of the pelican box has a cable converting component rca cables to the japanese rgb standard that is in the xrgb2 plus.

on the pelicacn box i scratched off the the black paint on each button then printed my own lables that now light up for my classic systems(genesis,neo-geo,duo,snes,nes,3do,saturn ect)

i needed 2 component boxes. one pelican 8 selector and a pelican 3 selector.
i used  y splitters to connect the 2 boxes i just turn one off that is not needed.
(nes.snes,n64.genesis,saturn,dreamcast,neo-geo,duo,3do,jag,cdi)

in the end it has very nice clean look and a great picture.

Bostich

Sweet, that sounds like something I'll want to do someday.

acem77

QuoteSweet, that sounds like something I'll want to do someday.
just added some pics of my full selector setup.  

mr. newbie

thats just crazy! i ahve the same hd box :D. i record via firewire from it. wahts a nuon?

kendrick

The Nuon is a DVD player with an embedded game system. While the current generation of consoles are considered game machines that can play DVD movies, the Nuon was intended as a software standard that could be loaded onto multiple DVD players. There were about five or six major brands and variants, all with different feature sets. Nuon is considered the philosophical successor to the Atari Jaguar since it was home to Tempest 3000, the second (or third) sequel to the vector-based arcade shooter.

The fact that you have to ask what it is indicates that the general public didn't warm to the idea. Hardly anybody owns a Nuon-compatible DVD player, and fewer still own any of the eight games that were released. Here comes the Wikipedia article if you're interested in reading more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuon

-KKC, who doesn't have a Nuon. Yet.

RGB

So, is the end result very good?  Does the signal get degraded going though all of the spliced cables and switch boxes?  I've been concerned with the quality of computer inputs on some RP-HDTVs and am curious!

Great job though!

RGB

Also, how did you go about "normalizing" the various RGB characteristics of all your game consoles, as different systems output dramatically different quality.

acem77

QuoteSo, is the end result very good?  Does the signal get degraded going though all of the spliced cables and switch boxes?  I've been concerned with the quality of computer inputs on some RP-HDTVs and am curious!

Also, how did you go about "normalizing" the various RGB characteristics of all your game consoles, as different systems output dramatically different quality.

the signal is great for each needed part of the set up.
the pelican box did not perform well for 720p stuff like 360.
but it works great for interlaced video like all the rgb moded systems.
the higher the resolution and faster the refresh rate the more critical quality becomes.

there are truly no y splits connecting any of the rgb systems when they are in use. the 8x pelican box has switched off inputs in the off mode.
and leaving the top 4x pelican unselected isolates it from the other box when not being used.  

the only splits i have is with my component systems from the 7x joytech selector to the xrgb2 plus. one split goes to the tv and one to the xrgb2 plus.
doing this actually makes the image a little better by tying the grounds together. it removes some mild ghosting when the joytech is by its self.
i do this for non progressive scan games. a lot of ps2 titles, a handful of game cube titles, a few xbox one titles and all nuon titles and movies.

an example like ace combat 5 for ps2 looks awesome in progressive scan yet it was not built into the game.

over all the picture is great if you want a better picture you would have to spend 10X more for maybe a 2% sharper picture.

i normalized each system by modifying the cables by adding resistors(genesis,cdi). if i did not have the room in the cable i add the need rgb amp or capacitors inside the system(snes,n64).
in some cases i just have the rgb amp on the out side of the system(duo,nes)
the 3do has a custom analog rgb encoder on the inside and the nes has a ppu mod done.  

acem77