Odd PSOne problem (laser related)

Started by FM-77, June 10, 2006, 06:00:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FM-77

Never mind this topic! I shouldn't even have posted it.. The official AC adapter is rated at 2.0A and my inofficial one is just too weak. Disregard of this post please.

[size=8]I'm having the oddest problem with my PSOne (SCPH-102 PAL version). The laser refuses to work correctly. If I put in a game disc it will most likely not work at all. When I turn it on, I can see the PlayStation logo, but then the laser struggles and the entire system restarts (hard reset, as if I had turned the system off and then back on). If I let the console stand horizontally (ONLY the right edge, though -- left won't work) it usually works a bit better and the game boots.

If the game boots, however -- it almost always restarts when I try to start/load a new game. Sometimes it works to play for a while, but it always restarts when I get to a new part in the game.

I've cleaned the laser THOROUGHLY (I even cleaned the mirror underneath the laser lens) and I've increased the voltage a little (just right, if I decrease it, games won't get past the title screen no matter what, and if I increase it, the cd will spin too fast and the console will restart at boot).

However, I have reason to believe it isn't completely laser-related, because I actually replaced the entire unit (I took the laser unit from an old PS1) and it had the exact same problem.

I've checked all the fuses and there's no problem there ... and here's another weird thing: audio CDs will almost always work. SOMETIMES the system restarts when it gets past track 1, but usually I can play the entire CD (only pressed CDs, burned ones won't work at all it seems).

Any clue what this could be? I figure it has to be motherboard-related since the laser unit(s) appears to be working like a charm and none of the fuses are dead.

Could it possibly be the AC adapter? I'm using a third-party one that lets you choose different voltages. Rated at 500mA (wow, I haven't considered this until now...), does the PSOne require more than 500mA? If so -- that would explain everything![/size]