I'll Paypal somebody $25 for a Neo rgb cable

Started by Max 330 Mega, May 12, 2006, 09:24:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max 330 Mega

Hey guys, ive got a neo geo with the serial number 227,371, and a sony PVM monitor with BNC connector RGB inputs and i need a multicable to use with it and the ability to have other cables made in the future to use it with other consoles. I am willing to pay $25 for the multicable if it can be shipped to my door by next friday, as i leave that day for a trip up to a friends house for a gaming get together and i really want to take along my neo this time. here are all the pics i think anyone would need to know what is needed to make the mulit-cable and the neo geo attachment cable:

my neo geo:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/dos...00/IMG_7807.jpg
serial #:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/dos...00/IMG_7809.jpg
my PVM:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/dos...000/sony19a.jpg
inputs:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/dos...000/sony19e.jpg
serial #:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/dos...000/sony19f.jpg

i initially just need the multicable and the neo geo attachment cable, but i promise that if i receive the cable and like the quality of it, ill be ordering lots more attachment cables for various systems from that person, so look at this as a possibility to make another $10 per attachment cable in the future  B)

if you have any questions feel free to drop me a PM. I am a long time established member of digital press and neo-geo.com and have plenty of positive feedback at either site if it is needed. thanks again to everyone for looking.

MKL

Going by the serial number your Neo is an AES3-6 revision, the one with the worst RGB out (vertical stripes). And it doesn't even have a sync output on the A/V port, which would be needed for the monitor you have. So if I were you I would first mod the RGB and bring sync on the A/V port. Details here:

http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=av:neogeoav
http://nfggames.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2003

Also, I see practical problems with the making of the cable as 4 decently sized coax cables through one DIN plug doesn't sound easy...

viletim!

MKL,
But surely his monitor will sync RGB from a composite video signal...I mean, just look at all those buttons and connectors.

Max 330 Mega,
If your monitor DOES sync from video then I suggest you make (or have made) a female SCART to 4 BNCs adaptor. Then you can get RGB SCART cables for all your consoles from dodgy ebay merchants.

Max 330 Mega

of all my lurking on neo-geo.com i had never once seen anyone mention that about the 3-5 and 3-6 boards. i knew later systems didnt have as good an RGB output, but i had never seen the threads explaining that the later boards had something totally different for the output than earlier serial numbers did  :o
looks like ill be emailing D-lite to see if perhaps he already perform the RGB bypass mod on my system. *hopes*
can someone tell me how to check if my monitor syncs or not? if it cant be told by the pics i provided or the model number, i guess the only other way to tell is to google info about my specific monitor and see what i can find...

i like viletim's idea, so if anyone would like to work out a deal with me so i can have a cable like he is describing made, please PM me, i really need these cables quick!  :(

viletim!

Max 330 Mega,
Does your monitor sync from a composite video signal...?
I don't know but try this... Find an RCA -> 2 RCA splitter cable. I've got one here, I think they're used to hook a mono signal to a stereo audio amp. Stick some RCA -> BNC adaptors on it and use it to connect a composite video source to both the video input and the red input. Switch to RGB mode and see what's on the screen. You should get a stable, red picture.

Also, have a go at building the cable(s) yourself! It's not difficult.

Endymion

The Sony PVM series is one of the best domestic (USA) RGB monitors you can find, they are very versatile and sturdy. There are not as many that support VGA as the Megaviews do, but I personally place them directly behind the Megaview for general quality with our gaming purposes. They are VERY easy to make cables for.

I could be wrong without seeing the manual for your model, but every PVM that I have yet worked with did not require a Composite Sync, all the ones I've dealt with would work just peachy with Composite Video. Also, I don't know what the heck implementation problem MKL is seeing, because all you need to do is get yourself a Neo Geo SCART RGB cable, remove the SCART end and replace with BNC and you're golden.

I know that a lot of newbies have the urge to ask someone to do it for them, even when paying golden-green. It seems well and reasonable to you, but we are enthusiasts just like you, which is to say that we all have lives. You'll get lots of help here if you are only willing to roll your sleeves back and try. Don't fixate on your deadline, just target yourself to learning and get the job done. You will be shocked at how easy it is to do once you have the picture you are after.

Max 330 Mega

thanks for the responses guys. especially endymion, you managed to reassure me quite a bit, and after looking into everything i could find it seems all the worrying that MKL caused me has been sorted. i plan to eventually try and perform the RGB bypass mod on my neo, and i also really want to learn and understand the electronics involved in such things as this so in the future ill be able to make the RGB cables and modify my own systems. ive decided im gonna save up and purchase randy fromm's arcade repair DVD set to teach me the basics (and the advanced) methods used in arcade machine repair and monitor repair, and hopefully by the time i learn all of that doing something like making a cable or modding a few things on a system will be a piece of cake. also anyone who can recommend good modifications and tutorials to get me started on my way to becoming sufficient with electronics know-how would be really appreciated.

this year in school i took 2 electronics courses and was hoping to be well on my way to knowing how to fix broken stuff and do my own system mods by now, but it turned out my teacher was foreign, and it was absolutely impossible to obtain any knowledge from his teaching so that was a complete loss.. luckily he gives everyone an A, and its a dual enrollment class, so i suppose i shouldnt be complaining but soo much  <_<

also endymion, so basically what you are saying is that i should have no problem attaching my neo to my RGB monitor via an RGB cable with BNC connectors?

MKL

QuoteAlso, I don't know what the heck implementation problem MKL is seeing, because all you need to do is get yourself a Neo Geo SCART RGB cable, remove the SCART end and replace with BNC and you're golden.
LOL it's quite obvious that you can do that but the result will be a ghetto cable not the quality cable the guy seemed to be after (going by his 1st post). Crimping (or - ugh! - soldering) BNC connectors to the 26awg wires you find in a Neo Geo scart cable will result in a shitty cable, period.  BNC connectors are meant to be crimped on coax cables with a fairly thick dielectric (I repeat: *IF* you want to make a serious cable) and 4 such cables (R/G/B/sync) will not pass through a DIN plug, I'm afraid. It would be much better to make a DIN-to-female scart and then use standard scart cables for all consoles as was suggested above.

@ guy-who-opened-this-thread: I didn't mean to cause you such worries :D , I just stated some (not so well known) FACTS:

- RGB from your system (if it's indeed a 3-6 PCB) will be crap.
- There is NO sync out on the A/V port of a 3-6 PCB

With that said, if your monitor can sync with composite I'm glad for you but it's always better to be aware of the above facts, no? (other popular RGB monitors, such as the Commodore 1084, will not sync with composite).

Endymion

Quotealso endymion, so basically what you are saying is that i should have no problem attaching my neo to my RGB monitor via an RGB cable with BNC connectors?
I can't see any reason you would have serious problems, so I wouldn't let MKL worry you much on this one. Your first effort will probably be "ghetto" just for being your first effort, but I can't think of any reason you would have a degraded picture (NeoGeo model's RGB issues notwithstanding) just for modifying an existing cable. Hell, if going to BNC from a standard cable is the only issue you can always just make a breakaway box converter to coax for your PVM, that is probably the smart way to do it anyway. Then you can just acquire RGB SCART cables and plug them in for each system as you get them. Look for something like this and work with it.

i have a pvm monitor too (1944Q)

as mentioned already in this thread, the best (cleanest and most inexpensive) way for you is to build a scart to bnc box so you can use scart cables

basically a female scart socket with the rgb/sync/ground pins wired to the corresponding bnc connectors

yours looks like RGB Sync-on-Green so you may need to build a sync seperator circuit aswell which is simple

as for adding the sync to the green line, i just solder them together and it works good

viletim!

MKL,
Thick coax (UHF TV type???) is total unnesessary for TV freq video. Even mini coax like the knid found in VGA cables isn't required if the cable is reasonabley short (<2m).

btw many (philips) Commodore 1084s will sync from compsite video too.

Endymion

Quoteyours looks like RGB Sync-on-Green so you may need to build a sync seperator circuit aswell which is simple
I wouldn't even bother with that--my PVM says "SYNC ON GREEN" right over the RGB connector and I've never used it, these things are versatile. It's only there if you need it, go bog standard if it suits you better. PVM is dead simple an easy monitor to make/modify a cable for, and I say that because mine was the very first that I tackled on my own with zero prior experience, it's an easy monitor to love on.

Max 330 Mega

thanks for all the info guys, i think a break out box seems like a cool idea, it would be nice to have everything hooked up at once like a switch box. i know i sound like a moron, but you guys do know i have absolutely no knowledge of this stuff, so terms like "sync on green" and "sync seperator" are nothing but confusing to me  :blink:
thats ok, i hope soon ill find something good to start teaching me about these things.. but hopefully it makes sense, that no matter how much i want to try and rig up my own cable, at this point i know so very little that i dont even know what the hell i would need to make the cable  <_<
keep the ideas coming! atleast they make good things to ask the guy who is making my cables about when we talk  :)  

XianXi

Quoteof all my lurking on neo-geo.com i had never once seen anyone mention that about the 3-5 and 3-6 boards.
because we usually mod our AES systems with a Neobitz or Jrok RGB>NTSC so we can use component, composite and S-video.

I dont know anyone actually using the A/V port.