PS2 dvdrom replacement

Started by xiao_haozi, April 21, 2006, 07:53:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xiao_haozi

I have been working on repairing a fried ps2 (electrical storm) and have managed to get it running again like a champ.  Had to do some mobo modifications and fuse replacements of course.  However, while I am at it I figure I may try to improve the dvd rom drive as the laser is getting a little crapped out.  I was thinking of making a new case for the parts as well and my goal is to eventually find a way to use a slim slot loading dvd rom drive (like found in the apple laptops and many others) ... Has anyone managed to use a traditional dvd rom drive with the ps2?  If so then it would be easy to make the conversion.

so far I have two ideas:
1- find a way to match pins and make a new cable that could then connect the slim slot drive to the mobo.  maybe through a homemade converter piece for the ribbon cables.
2- since it is ide drive maybe hook it up to the network/hdd drive adapter and figure out a way to get it respond this way to the mobo.

any ideas would be greatly appreciated.  I am at the point where I think this may not be possible but i figure it is worth a shot in order to get a really cool mod (i am thinking about making it embedded so that the interface will be on the front and you simply slide in the dvd and go.

Thanks.... and bring on the bad news!

nerdcore AT sublevo.com  (email)

ZORK007

hi guy's

I would like to know. what is the verison of the ps2 you are talking about.

because I have a broken ps2 verison 3 and i can sell you it. if you want it.

the only thing broken with it is the cable drive on it. but you can use it as spare

parts. name a price.

contact me  at  www.zork007@stx.rr.com

happly to help

xiao_haozi

hey zork,
I am  working on a version 9 ps2.  I appreciate the offer, but right now I have too many projects and spare electronics gutted everywhere that I think my other half would throw a fit if I added yet another ps2 to the collection.  But I will keep in mind.  and if you still are looking to unload down the road, or other stuff...just shout me an email.
nerdcore AT sublevo.com

thanks-

Guest_bmxfelon420

Someone at the local game trade said something to try is look at the little potentiometers on the back of the laser, one should say "DVD" and one should say "CD"  If the ps2 plays one and not the other, first take a fine sharpie and mark the one that you want to change so you have a reference point, and move it a HAIR clockwise.  It should be barely discernable that you moved it, maybe a few millimeters at most.  Then hook it back up and try it, you can also mess with the angle of the laser, which helped with load times in my case.  Mine still doesnt play cd's or cd based games, but it would if i took it apart and fixed it this way.

v9 ps2, lol.  I have a v2 and it still works, except for the aformentioned problem.

necrolepticpoe

can you say ghetto?
i got a ps2 at the thrift store for 5 bucks...
problem?
track on the bottom of the tray was broken...so the tray was jammed...and when i got it unjammed the laser wouldnt pop up (obviously)

so what did i do in this predicament?

got out the dremel....cut a hole in the top....and put a ps1 lid on it

hell yea

ps1.5 baby

hahaha
i know...its lame...but hey...$5.00?
awesome