noob here with a big mod idea

Started by Joypad, May 22, 2008, 10:30:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joypad

ive got a big idea for a big mod, but i need a little help with the planing.
here it is.

take a sega master sys, megadrive, nes, snes and put them all into one box with one power cord, one av cord.

any ideas will be helpfull.

kendrick

The link has long since died, but someone made an 'Ultimate Nintendo' console that had an NES, SNES, and N64 all in one case. Problem was, all the boards were still separate and each required independent power and A/V connections.

What you want to do is marginally feasible, but you have to set a more concrete goal. Are you willing to select the game system mode with a switch, or do you want it to detect the inserted cartridge automatically? Do you want consolidated controller input and decoders? Are you willing to code up a PIC to handle power distribution within your combined console? You're talking about at least two year's worth of work, maybe more. And programming is outside the scope of this forum.

It's an ambitious idea, but I don't think GamesX is the right place to get advice on this type of mod. Anybody care to suggest another forum?

NFG

I've seen mods like this, I've toyed with making mods like this.  The problem is you're not solving any problems, you're creating them. 

Space: The giant cube you're buidling will be much larger than the consoles you're replacing

Clutter: except for the power and video cables you're not going to be saving much, you'll still need controllers for each console

Difficulty: Unless you build a cube with one console per side, you'll need to extend all the ports: Video, power, controller, and - the big one - catridge.  Extending one cart port is a lot of work, but three?  Four? 

Time: Are you made of it?

Convenience: None.

Honestly you'd be better off with a modded xbox running emulators if you really want a one-box living room.

Akir

As a side note, the Megadrive is already capable of playing Master System games. Just need a cheap adapter.

albino_vulpix

kendrick

This is more of a suggestion than a hard-and-fast rule, but I would appreciate it if you would post a brief description along with any Youtube links. Some of us are Linux users, or choose not to use Adobe Flash products. In fact, I would like to suggest that no post contain only an unannotated URL if possible.

chriswalker8511

You could just put a small computer into one of your computers cases then just use emulators to play the games that would be on its hardrive. You could get alot more games this way but it would defeat the point of having an old-school console.