Sega Genesis RCA troubles

Started by Alex4, August 29, 2007, 05:17:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex4

Hey there everyone. I wanted a bit clearer signal from my genesis II. So I decided to add RCA output. I soldiered directly to the board where the signals go out the A/V multiout. I used phone cabling to make things cleaner and so I could mount a female plug on the inside of the case, and use a regular phone cable with RCA jacks on the end. Anyhoo, everything seemed to work out good. Only problem is I am getting vertical lines on the screen...I have checked out my soldiering and everything seems good. I had to use a common ground for all video and right & left audio. I am stumped I can't figure out what could cause it. My genesis does use the cheaper Samsung IC for audio and video though...not the sony.

NFG

You may find that using unshielded wire is your problem.  Phone wire's convenient but it's probably not sufficient for video.

blackevilweredragon

QuoteYou may find that using unshielded wire is your problem.  Phone wire's convenient but it's probably not sufficient for video.
I wonder if he's talking about this...

(This is simulated, but it is exact to the problem I have)

Those lines are on my Genesis models, even via the RGB output...

Alex4

I have been doing some reading and have found that composite video off of the Genesis II is usually plagued with vertical lines. Yes Blackevilwaredragon those are similar. It is very visible on black screens, or a picture with many solid colours. I switched from phone wire to thick wire straight to female RCA plugs on the side of the console. Then I used high quality monster cables straight into my TV. Didn't appear to help things much.

Richter X

I'd sooo love to know how to get rid of those lines! That and I also need to put in that audio mod so it doesn't sound like crap anymore. ^^'

Alex4

I have found a solution...Although it involves using some hard to find parts. Here is the link. You need a 4 pin 3.58 MHz Chrystal Oscillator. I don't have any kicking around, and I don't think I can get any. It would be nice if someone found a simpler solution  :blink:

Edited by NFG: Fixed link

blackevilweredragon

oh forget it XD

i use a model 1 Genesis with a 32X..  being it does it via RGB, and all Component adapters get the affected image, forget it, it's just not worth it..

viletim

QuoteI have found a solution...Although it involves using some hard to find parts. Here is the link. You need a 4 pin 3.58 MHz Chrystal Oscillator

No, you need one crystal (of the most common size produced) and two tiny capacitors. The rest of the oscillator circuit is built into the IC.

Alex4

I will try looking around then. i figure it is probably worth it. I just wish there was an easier solution.