N64 RGB mod curiosity

Started by Vertigo, January 18, 2006, 07:55:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vertigo

Lo!
Haven't got bits to make a proper RGB booster yet so recently did another N64 with the little quick and dirty RGB boost mod (joining the two points near the resistors on the solder side).
Gives me flicker occasionally on certain resolutions and brightnesses but otherwise it's a million miles better than SVid or Composite anyway so I don't care about that temporarily.

All I'm wondering is: can anyone tell me what these two points lead to and why they boost the signal?

And will I still get flicker when I build the RGB booster and remove the solder joining the two points again, or a stable image at all times?

Lots of love,
Vertigo, who is still wondering why in all hell Nintendo didn't make the N64 support RGB by default seeing as the video chip can obviously spit it out quite happily.

Why dont you just get a vga box with muliple video inputs (composite,s-video & component) and play any of your current systems on a computer monitor. There's even transcoder vga boxes that dramaticaly up the picture quality.

viletim!

Vertigo,

Can you be more specific about this mod?

As for why Nintendo left out the RGB...well...to make the RGB video out of the chip into standard RGB video that's suitable for monitors/TV then they'd have to add a few transistors, resisistors, etc to each colour signal. So they probably planned to have an RGB output and towards the end of the develpoment they tried to cheapen things it a bit, save 30 cents, and leave it off. Then, in the next production run they worked out they could save half a cent by leaving the RGB stuff out of the DAC all together.

Makes no difference as far as sales go...

Vertigo