SNES2 RGB Fun

Started by RARusk, May 03, 2005, 03:25:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RARusk

Recently I picked up a SNES2 model from a local thrift store, pictured below, and I went ahead and did a RGB mod to it. At the time I did it I did not remember if GamesX had a page for a SNES2 RGB mod. I saw tonight that it did but after looking over that page I felt that I should add my information concerning this mod.
Console hacking is like sex. For best results you got to know where to poke.....

RARusk

Below is the picture of the wires that are attached to the RGB chip within the SNES2 unit. On the GamesX SNES2 mod page, the picture of where the wires went on the chip is quite blurry. If Lawrence wishes to update that page he is more than free to use my picture here since it is much clearer and I actually use colored wires for the video signals (white is for composite sync). The wires went through the three holes that were supposed to be used for the RF modulator, but was left out of the motherboard, and attached all four wires directly to the AV plug.

I didn't need all of the other stuff, like the capacitors, that was on the SNS2 mod page. My picture came in quite clean and strong. As a matter of fact, I think that the RGB signal coming from this unit is stronger than from a model 1. But, of course, I am getting the signal directly from the chip itself. I should point out that the video signals go through my RGB box heading to the monitor. Each video line goes through a piece of ferrite, a 220uf capacitor, a 75 ohm resistor, and another piece of ferrite in that order.

However, I did not take a picture of the wires where they are attached to the plug itself. I don't remember why I didn't.....
Console hacking is like sex. For best results you got to know where to poke.....

RARusk

Finally, this is a picture of my newly modded (and cleaned up) SNES model 2 running "Super Mario Kart" on my NEC MultiSync 3D monitor. You can also see my RGB box (the black round object on the right of the SNES) and my other monitor (which is used for my Mac) to the left. This also gives you an idea of my gaming setup.

Endymion

What Mac are you using (still) with that ADB keyboard? (I see you are still with the old world OS.) And what monitor are you using with the computer, can it sync 15KHz also?

NFG

Nice work, RARusk.  Please feel free to modify the SNES2 RGB page on the wiki.  

In fact, I started working on it for you.  Feel free to tweak it as you like.

RARusk

Thanks, Lawrence. It's a little late here so I will tweak things later. By the way, I used the 96/4 solder I recently acquired for my PS2 hack on this mod. I should also take a picture of the underneath of the SNES2 for the A/V port. I also recently fashioned a tool for removing those Nintendo security screws, using my Dremel, out of a TV adjustment tool. Made it a lot easier to open the damn thing up.

To answer Endymion's questions:

My Macintosh is a Workgroup Server 8550/200 with a G3 card inside running at 330Mhz. It has over 200MB of RAM and has a 60GB hard drive running OS 9.2. I can't really afford to upgrade to anything higher at the moment but is pretty adequate for the things I do such as storing my hack information and writing my game guides.

The monitor is a standard Compaq monitor (meaning it doesn't do 15Khz). I use it for my Mac because the MultiSync can't go beyond 640x480 and I wanted to go at least 800x600 which is what the Compaq can do.  

RARusk

Added a couple of pictures and did a little tweaking to the wiki page. I will try to add some more info later.

phreak97

what did you use to get the black marker off it?

RARusk

GooGone and Windex. Didn't come off very easily but with a little work it eventually got cleaned off. I took the entire case apart and cleaned the individual pieces with soap and water, let them dry, and put everything back together. With the exception of a few scratches, it looks almost brand new.

Yod@

Nice write-up, RARusk.
I also found the RGB signal to be a bit on the bright side - I suggest you try using a 100 Ohm resistor on each of the R,G and B signals; I've experimented with several different values and found that 100 Ohms seems to give a perfect image.

EDIT: BTW I'm aware that you're using an "RGB box" which has a 75 Ohm resistor, but if you put the 100 Ohm resistors inside the SNES itself then it means people can use standard RGB SCART leads without any other modding.

RARusk

Nice info Yod@. You can go over to the SNES2 Wiki page and add that info if you want. That will be of benefit to international SCART users.

FM-77

Just wondering, if I perform this mod, can I just connect a regular SNES RGB cable to the connector on the SNES2? Or do I need to make a new cable or modify the connector or anything like that? Or is this all I need to do?

Thanks in advance.

RARusk

You can connect a regular SNES RGB cable to the SNES Jr after doing the mod.