News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

n64 overclocking

Started by Guest_Matt, January 02, 2006, 10:09:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guest_Matt

Hi, just finished wiring up my n64 with 2 switches attached to pin 112,116 and ground and 3.3v. Although my gnd and 3.3v are on the power supply pins as i found this easier to solder to than the capacitors.

Anyway my question, when I had the switches in ground/ground the led is off, but if I put it on gnd/3.3v or vice versa it goes dim about 1/4 brighness of when the machine is actually switched on, if its on 3.3/3.3 - machine doesn't work damn! - it goes brighter again but not as bright as when machine powered on.

My question - is this normal?

Thanks in advance, matt.

NFG

What you describe sounds as if the power supply is shorted, the machine is losing all the juice needed to actually work, and light the LED.

Guest_Matt

Oh, the machine works fine, it even overclocks, makes things faster - it just doesnt boot in 3.3/3.3 mode. the other modes work fine, i've even tested it on the intro of perfect dark to see how they boot faster etc when o/ced. What i was thiking that instead of now there being the hard on/off switch of the machine to regulate power, i am drawing 3.3 and ground from the ps - which is always on if so at the wall, because it is indipendent of the n64 on/off switch. I just wanted to know if other ppl who had hooked theirs up to the p/s had the same thing as me.

NFG

Most N64s don't go into the fastest mode, it's too fast.

Drewman21

Just a quick question about the fastest mode for the overclock.  Could a resistor be used to drop it down a abit so that it may not lock up right away but still be high enough to be faster than the standard overclock?  Or am I just being way to simple in my thinking?  Just wondering.
Thanks

Drewman21