s-video on n64 colored versions

Started by Drewman21, December 08, 2005, 04:48:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drewman21

I have a quick question about the s-video output from the clear colored N64s.  I have a orange and ice blue one that seem to output s-video.  I have set them side by side with a source selector box set to s-video running the same game(Goldneye) and have flipped back and forth and see no difference in the video compared to my original black cased N64.  

I have read that later models of the N64 do not have s-video output.  Do the later machines not have "true" s-video but take composite and run it through the s-video connector?  I have used different n64 s-video cables from Monster, Pelican, and some Bestbuy knock off brand and the video quality all seems the same.

So i guess anyone have an idea why this is?  And secondly anyone know what the cut of was on s-video being included on the colored models?  After the original runs of the first colors or towards the end with pokeymon ones?

Thanks for any thoughts or help on this.

Drewman21

NES-Luke

My green (I assume it's the DK64 edition) N64 has real s-video, there's a substantial difference between that and the composite.

I'm not sure when it came out in terms of the life cycle of the N64, but I think it was somewhere near the end.