Genesis AV homemade cable

Started by tomman, August 07, 2005, 06:38:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomman

This is my first post here, and since there are NO guides to build a Genesis AV cable (looked with Google, and get lost after first 30-40 pages), so i decided to experiment a bit with the Genesis AV port pinouts published here on GameSX.com. Today, i done it, a homemade AV cable for Genesis/MegaDrive 1/2, using some cheap pieces.
======================================================

And here is, my guide to get A/V out with a homebrew cable! (Note that although i made the diagrams using a Genesis 1, and the 32X adapter cable, these are valid too for Genesis 2, just look the tables)

Diagram 1: You want BOTH composite video and audio:

Diagram 2: You want ONLY composite video, or ONLY mono audio:

Notes:
1) In diagram 2, DO NOT USE BOTH CONNECTIONS AT THE SAME TIME, OTHERWISE, YOUR GENESIS/MEGADRIVE WILL CRASH, AND YOUR TV WILL LIKELY RECEIVE DAMAGE!!! In resume, use diagram 1 if you want audio AND video.
2) If you want stereo audio:
- From a Genesis 1, use a Stereo Mini-Jack to RCA cable to get stereo from the frontal phonejack. Then, use diagram 2 to get video.
- From a Genesis 2, use pins 8,9 and external ring (GND). Same diagram 2 restrictions could apply here, do not use +5V line if you also want video (can anyone confirm this?).
3) Double-check, triple-check and quadruple-check your connections. Isolate it with electrical tape if possible.
4) Have a Genesis 1? Since it is not very easy to put cables in the Genesis AV connector, i suggest to get a Genesis 1 32X adaptor cable from a 32X (preferably from a dead unit, this cable is NOT easy to find!. Instead of inserting the cables directly in the holes, i made some cheapo pins with staples, and then isolated all with masking tape). Otherwise, i think that a standard DIN plug should work (for example, try with one of a dead keyboard, but i'm not sure, you may want to use a multimeter here
5) For the A/V cables, use standard RCA cables (in my case, i used the cable that came with my DVD player). These cables are cheap, and can be found everywhere (can be ripped from broken RF modulators too, but be sure to not swap cables, specially if you are using the +5V line!)

And here is my improved v2 cable!

Feel free to correct me if i'm wrong, and do not blame me if your expensive plasma TV or your old crappy CRT TV/Genesis X blows when using these adapters!

rev1.0000.0003 07/08/2005

Fix_Metal

what's the meaning of this? :blink:
just an isi mod, quitly useless imho.

tomman

Since i can't find instructions to build that damn cable, i did my own research. Also the +5V thing needs more research

Endymion

I think what he is saying is that the pinouts for this have been known since the late fourteenth century, so it is a bit puzzling why you had to do research or made up such an elementary diagram?

QuoteI think what he is saying is that the pinouts for this have been known since the late fourteenth century, so it is a bit puzzling why you had to do research or made up such an elementary diagram?
I thought something like this....

Fix_Metal

QuoteI think what he is saying is that the pinouts for this have been known since the late fourteenth century, so it is a bit puzzling why you had to do research or made up such an elementary diagram?
I thought something like this....
that's me.

I'm trying to do the same on my mega drive 1 but i haven't got a 32X adaptor. What can I do?