News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

Video Pinball

Started by Vertigo, October 11, 2005, 10:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vertigo

So:
I know about Necronomicon, and if it's available relatively cheaply I'll get one of those although the Saturn rarely comes out now coz I have nothing that's any cop for it that I want to play.
I have Dragon's Fury and it's meant to be one of the best on 16-bit but personally I'm getting tired of the predictability of the ball motion and that left drain that seems to magnetically attract the ball whenever it goes anywhere near it, along with the strange effect sometimes of speeding the ball up and sucking it down that left drain. Plus there's only one table and I'm bored of it.
Pinball Fantasies on PC I'm still in love with even though it's cheese of the highest order.
I tried that really pretty one on PS2 but couldn't really get into it in the 20 minutes I had, and I don't have a PS2 anyway.
Someone recommend me good video pinball for the MD or SNES preferably?
Cheers.

NFG

There are no good video pins beyond Necronomicon.  All the rest:

are too real to be fun:
Pure Pinball, PC/Xbox: no static views, they all move and shift, none of them allow you to happily see the whole table.

have dodgy physics:
* Crash for PCE/MD/SNES

have unskippable videos and shitty bonus stages:
Akira Psychoball, PS2 (it's otherwise brilliant)

are too easy:
Power Rangers Pinball

have flat scrolling tables:
Pinball of the Dead, GBA
*, Amiga

Are a mix of all of the above:
Kyutenkai Pinball, Tecnosoft, Saturn

Basically if it's not Necronomicon they're only average.

Vertigo

Yeh at least the PC version of Fantasies doesn't have the horizontal scrolling that I seem to remember the SNES version has, which makes it at least playable in my mind but ideally a whole table view is best.
I don't suppose Necronomicon is cheap, is it? Is it out on American? Hopefully it'll work with the swap trick, coz my Saturns are still virgins.

NFG

It's real cheap, $10+ usually, though $20 might be closer to a reasonable overseas price.  There was no US release, though the prequel (Last Gladiators) did get a release.  It's not nearly as good, the sounds especially are pretty thin, but it's still worth a look if it's cheap enough.