A63AGD01X picture tube question

Started by bullis1, October 03, 2005, 06:42:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bullis1

So I'm hooking up a A63AGD01X picture tube (from daytona USA cabinet) to a video card. I have video cables, drivers, etc all figured out. The problem is that I don't know how to hook it up to a power source. I don't know anything about the tube's voltage, or any other power specs. What is the best power source for this tube? Any tips?

Darklegion

Maybe I'm being dumb here, but that picture tube will not just run on its own - it will require a compatable chassis.That is assuming you mean 'tube' and not 'tube + chassis'.The chassis is all of the circuitry that drives the tube itself, and just looks like a motherboard and is found in any crt monitor.You can get replacement chassis's (sp?) from www.8liners.com, www.alvaamusement.com (email alvaamuse@aol.com) or on ebay.Most seem to say that the ones that alva sell are better (they are cheaper too) but there is some argument on that.Also if you find out what chassis that the monitor originally used you will have a perfect replacement, but it will likely be much more expensive.
If you do in fact have a 'tube + chassis' you'll likely need a isolation transformer unless it is a very recent monitor that uses a switchmode power supply (unlikely).

EDIT: Also just though i'd mention that not all chassis's will work with all tubes, you will need a specific type.Instructions for figuring out what specific type are on both sites I mentioned and also IIRC in the forums of www.arcaecontrols.com.

bullis1

Hmmm... Looks like I've got some more research to do. I didn't see any PCBs hooked up to it, just the video connector, power cord, and ground wire.  I know that this tube was used in many TVs from the 90's, so I'll check used electronics/TV repair shops for these chassis boards. Thanks for the info, Darklegion. Of course, this chassis could already be in there somewhere. This cabinet is pretty tightly packed with components in some spots. Time to get out the flashlight.