News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

I broke the 107 pin.

Started by Joe, June 26, 2005, 10:12:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Aw crap, i broke pin 107 from the chip. After i tried to install the switches i accidently pulled the wire that connected pin 107.

My Megadrive 2 seems to work ok and the 50/60hz switch works. Only Jap/eng switch is kaput.

Ah well any info how to fix this?

Joe

Hi there again,

Is there a other way to let the jap/eng language switch work if pin 107 is broken of the chip?

Aidan

If you have a suitably small knife, some thin wire, some solder, a thin soldering iron bit and some skill, it is actually possible to strip back some of the encapsulation on the chip with a knife. Then it's possible to solder said thin wire onto the exposed bit of pin and use that. However, it does require skill at soldering!!!
[ Not an authoritive source of information. ]

Qjimbo

Damn jynx! Today I broke a couple of pins off the video chip on my MD 2 >_<

That'll teach me for trying to scrape the rouge solder off... guess I'll have to buy a new megadrive, at least they're dirt cheap on ebay. I wonder if the MD1 is easier to mod for SPDIF than the MD2.

Anyway sorry *back on topic* I've yet to attempt the Region mods, but 50hz has been bugging me quite a bit.

Segasonicfan

reminds me of when i broke pin 107 on my CDX :o  Then I found the jumpers that controlled the region later...doh!  FYI, it's beter to trace the 107 (and 46 I think is the other one) to a jumper or other point to solder to.  Soldering directly to those graphics chips is an incredibly hard task, even for the most skillful solderer (yea, i now it's not a word).  And remember, those pins have to lead somewhere to get their 5v or ground connection ;)

-Segasonicfan
MY WEBSITE: https://segasonicfan.wixsite.com/retro
I design PCBs for retro game systems :)

Joe

Well, the tutorial of Djoen is actually a bit messed up, since i thought i installed the 50/60Hz switch(which i only need) it was actually the language switch. It worked though, tested it with streets of rage aka bare knuckle, but when i tried to install the 50/60Hz i accidenlty broke the pin 107. Man....i need eagle eyes to fix this.

Its not THAT nessecary to fix the the 107 pin though, 50/60Hz mod works ok.

But still i have 1 hole in my megadrive case which is useless, so i let the switch with no wires replace the hole. Neat eh?

So far i only need a RGB cable, and i searched the whole elektronics business in my country and the fockers don't sell those mini dinnies 9 pins, all they have are up to 8 friggin pinnies.

I broke my Pin 107 too :(

I just have one question -- when its not connected, does that mean I'm permanently in Japan mode?

phreak97

it is possible to get some of the black off the chip and expose the metal the pin connected to, i used a very small dremel bit, but i have used sharp tipped side cutters to break away at it then a fine screwdriver to scrape of the last bits exposing the metal, which also works.

sounds dodgy? sure, but it's already dead, so you got nothing to lose right? i've done it successfully on my n64 cpu.

buy some wire wrapping wire, it's the easyest to solder to pins and small contacts