(updated) PAL NES video output corrupted

Started by Fix_Metal, September 04, 2005, 04:47:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fix_Metal

I all. I got for free an old NES PAL (those Mattel version y'know).
The problem is this:
when I turn it on it starts blinking on the screen black and white, like when no cartridge is in, even if IT'S in.
Anybody has any idea?
thx in advance, bye

phreak97

you need a new 72 pin connector most likely, but you could try clipping pin 4 on the lockout chip.

Fix_Metal

Quoteyou need a new 72 pin connector most likely, but you could try clipping pin 4 on the lockout chip.
:huh: the all-region mod?  :blink:  

Yes, the lockout mod would certainly help. Because when the chip doesnt detect the chip in the cart it will constantly reset the NES. I am not familiar with the mattel nes but if its a front loader like the American one it is definitley the 72 pin connector like phreak said. You can take out your connector, and gently and slightly lift up each pin on it so that they get a better connection with the cart. If you lift them up too far your game will run without pushing the cart down inside the machine, fun but annoying side effect.

How's everyone been doing here?

atom

Woops, that was me, havent been here in so long i forgot to log in!
forgive my broked english, for I am an AMERICAN

phreak97

the mattel version is exactly the same except for the obvious (video format, clock speed, the typical pal crap)

you can buy new 72 pin connectors off ebay for about $10

Fix_Metal

will try. thx in advance, i'll make you know the results :D

Fix_Metal

i'm modding the nes. Unfortunatly I ripped off that 4pin connector...I hope it won't bother for no GND  :lol: ....
anyway I'm making  the stereo mod too. I think changing the 72 pin could be the best thing to do, but I'm gonna try the nes first.
maybe I'll spray it off some kind of gold or silver color...a shiny case  :D  

Fix_Metal

well I've done the lockout mod, cleaned (alcool r0x) the 72pin and changed the power led with a more cool blue led (I'm about to get my nes windowed :>).
Anyway I fucked up the 4th pin of the chip. It's gone. Is the nes gone too? ^^...I can't try it right now, I don't have any games by my side...gotta wait my friend's

atom

Nope, you can snip all you want on the lockout chip and all it will do is nothing since its disabled anyways, lol. Did you bend the pins back up into shape like I suggested or just cleaned it? You need to either bend it or replace it.

forgive my broked english, for I am an AMERICAN

phreak97

i dont know about snipping anything, i think the nes still needs to know it's there, but it will run fine with pin 4 broken off.

Fix_Metal

QuoteNope, you can snip all you want on the lockout chip and all it will do is nothing since its disabled anyways, lol. Did you bend the pins back up into shape like I suggested or just cleaned it? You need to either bend it or replace it.
I've just cleaned it. It's just a try....
thx

Fix_Metal

hello everybody :)
I backup this old 3d since I'm about to talk about the same NES of 2 years ago.
I finally woke up one day and decided to recover it. I did. The only thing I cannot understand is that sometimes the power button doesn't start the console. It does not (let's say) "bootup".
Well the button behaves like this very often actually. As soon as you press the Reset button, the console starts and then everything works fine.
I thought about some cap on the tracks might be gone, but they're ceramic though. Never seen a ceramic failing (well ok, that could be like never say never :P)
Any hints?

Fix_Metal

I'd just say FUCK.
I tested the NES on yesterday. Apart for the power-button problem, it was working.
I closed it, wanted to play with and turned it on.
Now I fucking get just a messy video output, it seems just a big error.
The audio is working ok, the CPU runs too (it doesn't hang). The game seems to go on but with all these video issues that makes gaming impossible. I cannot understand what is what...
what could this be?:(

chriswalker8511

I've had this before. I think it must be a loose connection because sometimes when I jiggle the cable going to the TV it gets better. When i took it apart just to have a look around cos i was bored it worked after i put it together it worked perfectly :D So i would suggest just to do that and hope for the best