Sega Master System RGB

Started by Bostich, July 24, 2005, 09:52:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bostich

OK, so I took the easy way out and bought an RGB cable off Ebay.

When I first turn the system on, the picture seems to jump around randomly for a few seconds.  It eventually stops, however.  Once the jumping stops, the picture quality is fantastic.  I just can't figure out why the picture would jump around when I first turn the system on.

Also, I've noticed this doesn't happen every time I turn the system on.  It only happens after the system has been turned off for a while.

The guy I bought it from mentioned that there are capacitors in the cable.  Could the jumping picture be caused by the capacitors not being charged?  That's the only thing I can think of since it only happens after being turned off for a long time.  I guess I don't really understand the purpose of having a capacitor in a video cable.

At any rate, I just thought this was kind of weird.  The problem fixes itself after the system has been on about 3 or 4 seconds.

Bostich

It looks like I just got lucky with the Master System.  I had actually ordered RGB cables for several other systems and I'm having much worse problems with those.

So far I've tried SMS, Genesis, Saturn, and SNES.  The only one that works for me out of those is the SMS.  I'm thinking it must be a problem with my RGB to component transcoder.  I can't imagine all of those cables being bad.

The problem I'm seeing with the Genesis, Saturn, and SNES is that the picture has a very strong red tint to it and it is very jumpy.  I have contacted the manufacturer of my transcoder so I'll see what they say about it.  At this point, I'm thinking it is probably one of two things:

1. The transcoder is outputting Y Cr Cb and my TV is expecting Y Pr Pb.  At the time I ordered the transcoder, I hadn't realized there were two standards for component video.  This could account for the weird tinting I'm seeing, but I'm not sure if it could cause a jumpy picture.  As a test, I tried connecting just the Y to get a black and white picture.  However, the picture was still jumpy.

2. The transcoder was made for PAL and my TV is NTSC.  I hadn't thought this would be an issue at the time I ordered the transcoder.  I figured as long as I found an power supply with the same DC output, I would be fine.  I know the PAL vs.  NTSC issue doesn't exist for RGB, but what about component? If the transcoder is doing something weird with the sync it could freak out my TV.

This is the transcoder I'm using: http://www.keene.co.uk/cgi-bin/bigcodesearch.pl?RGB2C

Cyber Axe

are you using any kind of splitter to put them into the television or are you testing them one at a time? (because a cheap one can cause signals to interfere with one another even if the devices arent on)

also have you got more than 1 scart socket on your television? if so try changing it i read that most televisions have one scart that supports rgb the other supports svideo (though usualy thers a second AV like AV2-S) thats the way it works on my television though mine is pal

in the case of the red tint i'd have oriognally though that inside the scart end theres sometihng touching something it shouldnt be (i had a similar problem with a ps1 scart where everything was green with some pink in till i opened up the cable to find the red was touching ground) though it seems unlikley that all of your cables have the same problem

also in the case of the flickering it could be to do with those capacitors i had a problem with my gamecube cable (which is posted on the forum) and i fixed it by removing the capacitors

didnt realise when i started writing this that you were converting to component hopefully it will be of help

Bostich

I'm not using any kind of splitter to connect these systems to my TV.  I plugged the RGB SCART cable directly into the transcoder.  I have a SCART to component (3 phono) adapter plugged into the output of the transcoder.  Then I have a component video cable connecting that adapter to my TV.

I don't have any SCART sockets on my TV.  

I got a response from Keene's customer service today.  The guy thinks the SNES is outputting H+V sync.  I'm not sure where he got that information.  The pinout on this site shows composite sync.

EDIT: Changed "H/V" to "H+V".  I didn't realize the two shorthand notations stood for different things.

Bostich

OK, I officially hate SCART now.  I found out the problem, although I'm not sure about a realistic solution.

If I apply inward/sideways pressure to the output SCART socket of my transcoder, the picture clears up perfectly.  I verified this on the SNES, Genesis, and Saturn.

I can't believe all of this was just an issue of having a bad connection.  Now the question is, how do I get around this?  I can't exactly sit there applying pressure to the SCART socket while I'm playing games.

Now who in the hell thought that monstrosity of a plug was a better idea than phono plugs?  Whoever invented SCART ought to get their ass kicked.  Seriously, I would rather plug in 4 phono cables than deal with this crap.  :angry:   At least you don't have to worry about phono cables coming partially unplugged.  Stupid SCART.  </rage>

Aidan

Being English, I have to point out that the SCART connector was designed by a bunch of Frenchmen.

The idea is good, but the implentation is bad. Personally, I'd prefer not to have to plug in eight phono jacks just to get the same basic functionality as SCART. Having said that, I'm also aware there's some cheaper connectors/sockets on the market that do not mate properly.
[ Not an authoritive source of information. ]

viletim!

Bostich,

Your Keene transcoder is obviously faulty. Take it back to wherever you bought it and demand a refund!

To be honest, that thing looks really dodgy. Component video is meant to come out of a bunch of phono sockets, not a SCART.

phreak97

i've seen component in the form of scart.. my rooted digital box has it

Bostich

I reported the problem to Keene's customer service and they are sending me a replacement unit.  Hopefully that resolves the problem.

Heh...perhaps I was being a bit harsh on the SCART connector earlier.  I guess it's just a bit frustrating when the ONLY way to obtain these things in the US is through the mail.  When I'm trying out something new (to me) that I'm not even 100% sure I'm doing it right or whether it is compatible, etc., I would much rather buy from a local store if possible.  Returns are a lot easier that way.  Not to mention the saving on shipping costs...$40 to ship that tiny box with a couple of adapters from England.  Ouch!

Oh well, at least I can say Keene's customer service is very responsive.  I exchanged emails with them once a day, which is all I can ask for considering the time zone differences and the fact that I'm at work all day.

viletim!

Quotei've seen component in the form of scart.. my rooted digital box has it
ha.... dodgy :)

Bostich

My replacement transcoder came in on Monday.  I hooked it up and it works.  No jumping picture, no red tinting. :)