Dreamcast Help

Started by StevenH, April 26, 2005, 05:29:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StevenH

I need a little help. I just purchase 2 import dreamcast light guns and need to know if anyone knows how to mod (software or hardware) either the guns or the system to use them on a us dreamcast.

NFG

As far as I'm aware no one's ever been desperate enough to play House of the Dead that they went through all this effort.  Since Sega never released a US version of this gun there's no reference for converting the Japanese guns.  You're probably better off picking up a Japanese copy of HotD.

phreak97

why is there even a region lock on them?

Yod@

It's the US software which is locking out the guns.
PAL or JP versions of the games should work fine with your guns.

I'm not sure if it's possible to use a 3rd party gun with US games - I'll try and test out my Madcatz gun with my US copy of Death Crimson later on and let you know if it works.

Yod@

I just tried it out - it works with my Madcatz gun, but doesn't work with my Interact one or the official Sega one. Weird.

Vertigo

Open it up and examine the chip then.
If there's no chip in there, you have full permission to cry WTF??? at the top of your voice.

Martin

One thing that's always irritated me about tyhe PAL version of The House of the Dead 2 is why was there no 60Hz mode? Sure the 50Hz mode was a perfect conversion from the 60Hz but still? Another thing I've noticed is SEGA Superstars PAL lacks 60Hz is well. Is this to do with timing differences between the two refresh rates? Is it simpler to just set the sensory equipment up to work with a fixed refresh rate or something? Or is it just SEGA being odd :P  
[span style=\'font-size:14pt;line-height:100%\']barenakedladies[/font][/span]

Darklegion

I'm no game programmer but it might not be that easy to allow support for 2 framerates in the same game,and I imagine it would require a lot of extra wizardy to work at all.Secondly there is the screen size issue,PAL50 is higher resolution than NTSC so if they were to just throw in an extra PAL60 mode just for the purists it wouldn't fit on the screen vertically (besides being too fast as well)

Aidan

Framerate support isn't too much of an issue as long as you know just how many frames per second are going to occur. The only issue may be getting all the processing done in time, but if it's acceptable at NTSC then it's unlikely to be an issue.

Guess they just didn't think it would be that much of a issue for anyone.
[ Not an authoritive source of information. ]