SNES 2 with diffrent motherboard?

Started by kermitoz, May 27, 2005, 02:35:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kermitoz

Hello!

A few months ago I bought a new SNES2 from ebay, after a few days I found the SNES2-RGB-Guide at gamesx.com and I really wanted that mod.

But there was one big problem, I dont know anything about this technical stuff, then after a few weeks i finally found a videogame store here in Sweden that could perform this mod for me.

I gave the guy at the store my SNES2 and a printed copy of the RGB-mod guide, and the day after the guy called me and told me that my SNES2 did not have the same motherboard as in the guide.

So, I have now taken a picture of my motherboard and would like too know what you guys think of it, is it possible to perform a RGB-mod on this motherboard?

If you want better pictures then just say on which part of the motherboard you want the pictures and i'll get it!

Oh, by the way, on the gamesx forums there was this guy that said that he also had bought a brand new SNES2 from ebay that had RGB-support from the beginning (I cant find that thread) I checked it out and it turns out that he got his SNES2 from the same seller as i did, but when i use my Gamecube RGB cable on my SNES2 I get exactly the same picture quality as usual.

kermitoz

I found the thread i mentioned earlier:
http://nfg.2y.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=1155&hl=snes

NFG

great quality screenshot.  Wow, does that ever look like a SNES clone.  No nintendo labels anywhere!!

kermitoz

Aww, so it is a clone? that sucks. :(

This is the guy I bought it from, not this auction but it looked exactly like this, same pics and description:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...ssPageName=WD2V

It looks real, and everything in the box looks like the real deal, there is even commercial papers and stuff like that.

Is there anyway you can tell from those pics that it's a clone? I would like to know because now I have to start looking for a new (real) one, and i don't want to get a clone again.

Drewman21

Did your SNES2 have the typical security screws?  My guess would be if it just had standard screws it would be a knockoff or clone of some type.  Unless overseas they don't use the security type screws?  Just a though.
-Drewman21

NFG

I have several US SNES2 units.  They all have standard Nintendo-labelled chips inside, as well as Nintendo labels on the PCB.  Nintendo generally doesn't produce low-quality goods, and the clock on yours is in the air and bent, it looks like the cart port is bent, there are screw holes unused, what looks like a glob of solder on the controller port pins, etc.

If you're interested I'll swap you a brand new SNES2 for your clone.  =)

kermitoz

Drewman21 - Yeah it has standard screws.

Lawrence - Yeah i'm interested, send me an email or something and we can talk about it.

Thanks for your help, guys  :)  

atom

That last guy was saying he had a legit SNES2 with rgb built in. I kept trying to tell him it was modded or a fake but he wouldn't listen. He never took pics even though he kept saying he was, but you took the pic right away. Good job.

One thing I notice about that motherboard is chip layout. For reasons unknown to me, Nintendo puts their chips that needed to be connected miles apart from each other. It resulted in a much more complicated PCB design. These chips are right next to each other and the traces are very visible. I also notice, that not only does it not say Nintendo anywhere, it doesnt say any brand names whatsoever on most of the chips. Also, the SNES mini's motherboard left quite a bit of empty space inside the shell, this fills it entirely. And as said the cartridge port has been bent to fit inside the casing. It uses full sized resistors. It does not use an oscillator that mounts to the pcb. The soldering is probably done by hand.

While you have something much cooler, a SNES CLONE, you still have been ripped off. This guy is taking broken SNES minis or whatever, filling the inside with pirate crap. He then puts it in a box, puts a little sticker on it and calls it sealed brand new! That last guy said he knew it was legit because it was sealed, but the seal is just a little sticker! I am so curious to see if this thing has a lockout chip.
forgive my broked english, for I am an AMERICAN

phreak97

actually, it is possible this seller had no idea it was pirate. they are sold by zinga.com as super nintendo consoles, they come in a proffessional looking box with mario on the front, and many ebay sellers buy them there thinking they have found a bargain source for expensive systems. they resell them only to get complaints from their customers. i know this for sure, a friend of mine did exactly that. im getting one of those coles with a broken power switch in a few weeks (for free). the switch should be an easy fix, so ill have a look what things are like in there for myself.
dont blame the seller unless he or she is clearly a liar

oh, and nintendo's pcb's are made by mitsumi electric co. there are very few exeptions, none for consoles afaik. (the nes advantage is an exception, and if you look at the soldering etc, youll see why there are so few of these exceptions.. i guess nintendo learned)

atom

Well someone should let this guy know that hes getting 300 bucks for fake SNES's because people think they are sealed in the box.

Endymion

It would be valuable information if we could get a picture of board from the guy who created the other thread. Obviously his SNES2 is different from everybody else's who surely got a Nintendo original one, it would be a real kicker if there is even one clone that does RGB properly while the Nintendo-made one does not.

NFG

holy crap!!  $300 for a new SNESjr!?  I've got three of them!!

phreak97

i emailed the seller, he thanked me for the info and said he would contact his supplier about it.

atom

Quoteholy crap!!  $300 for a new SNESjr!?  I've got three of them!!
gggggg

You can at least get half that out of them! Throw in a RGB cable and the nerds will go nuts! Dont forget the turbo controllers!

s.m.f

Hi there
this is my first posting here. After reading your posts I rushed away to my snes 2...
it had regular screws(the ones with a cross)
no nintendo label on Mb whatsoever
and the joypad is really low quality and so is the unit, but I can�t say if that�s different from the regular unit since I hae not compared.

I have photos on my unit if you wan��t to see. How do I post?

Oh btw it does output rgb.. shich is in fact a good thing.

The original box looks as original as can be, how so I know it�s fake? If it�s fake.

My unit was bought in sweden and I know there are more units for sale and up for auctions.

s.m.f forever