Video Interface Discussion Thread

Started by NamelessPlayer, May 31, 2005, 12:24:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NamelessPlayer

Yes, I've read the articles on how RGB is best. However, there are some interfaces that usually don't get mentioned. I'll list all that I know:

RF: Combine EVERYTHING into a single signal. Prepare to go blind.
Composite: Audio is seperated from video, but you could still do better. Images tend to be blurry.
S-Video: Video is divided into 2 signals(Luma & Chroma?), bringing a massive increase in picture quality.
Component Video: One of the best interfaces currently availible. While the wires are red, green & blue, it's not individual color data that's being sent, but a Luma signal from which 2 Chroma signals(red & blue)are subtracted.
RGB: Red, Green & Blue. It's that simple. How can you go any better than just transmitting the 3 primary colors? You'll problably need an additional pair of pins for Horizontal & Vertical Sync, though.
VGA: An interface similar to RGB designed for PC use. Progressive-scan in nature. Could be better, could be worse, but still kicks the crap out of anything less.
DVI-I: Analog & Digital DVI. Apparently, this interface works by streaming digital video information to the display, increasing image quality somehow. This would come in quite handy for getting 480p out of my GCN, since I should be able to bypass that DAC.
DVI-D: Digital DVI only. Like above, but smaller.

Anyone willing to add to my knowledge of all of these interfaces(DVI in particular)? I'll use Google in the meantime & see what I can come up with.

EDIT: Made some changes to the DVI entries for accuracy.

I meant this as a thread to also leave your opinion on these interfaces, as well as any weird ones I don't know about. If there's something like this one already on the forum, you have my permission to delete it(I would if I could provided things started getting rowdy).

viletim~

There are other video formats (old computer video standads, old tv standards, etc) but as far as video games go I think you've got a complete list.

There was an excellent article on the subject in the local electronics magazine last year.

I've scanned it in if anyone wants to read it (copywrite advocates avert your eyes :)

phreak97

should we go into pal, ntsc, and secam formatting? i think they are worth mentioning under rf(?), composite, and svideo. also refresh rates and compatability might come in handy here too. if nobody else posts it, i will later.

Aidan

VGA: PC form of RGB, with seperate horizontal and vertical sync lines. Sync frequencies vary widely, but are almost always non-compatible with standard TVs. VGA supports both progressive and interlaced output. Sync pulses can be either negative or positive going, and most VGA monitors don't care.

DVI: Digital Visual Interface. This standard provides two different forms of the same information, in the form of analog and digital signals. The analog information is identical to VGA (see above). The digital data is sent as TMDS (Transition Minimized Differential Signaling) to minimise the possibility of RF interference. Devices using LCD or DLP technology work internally with digital signals, so DVI is well matched to them.

DVI-I: DVI connector standard that presents both analog and digital forms.  A DVI-I connector will only mate with a DVI-I socket.

DVI-D: DVI connector standard that only presents the digital form. See above for more details on DVI digital. A DVI-D connector will mate with either a DVI-I or DVI-D socket.

DVI-A: DVI connector standard that only presents the analog form. You're not likely to see it, as it rather negates the whole idea of DVI. A DVI-A connector will mate with either a DVI-I or DVI-A socket.

[ Not an authoritive source of information. ]