News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

Skeleton Saturn mod

Started by NFG, November 18, 2003, 02:03:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NFG

Here's a WIP I've nearly completed.  Two hours of painstaking cutting with the dremel tool, two layers of spray paint, and this is the result!  Next up: illumination.

NFG

Here's the finished product.  There's six white LEDs inside creating a lovely glow throughout the machine.  Pretty much everything went as I hoped, except for the more extreme blurring caused by the case.  The result is you can't see any of the PCB but for a green glow, where I was hoping for a clearer view.  The camera doesn't really show how cool it looks, but you can get a decent idea from these images.  The blue light looks far more vivid and less whitish than the cam shows.

Scared0o0Rabbit

I don't know whethor to think it's wonderful or horrible that you did that to a skeleton saturn lmao.  If I had a skeleton saturn I'd probably want to do something like that, however I can't justify buying one at the outrageous prices they go for on ebay (especially after shipping) lol.

Feeling Scared? ^_~

hemphacker

Good job on the mod. I like it!

Haohmaru

It's cool and all but definitely not my speed. I'm sure it will rattle someone's cage.

Vertigo

Instead of LEDs, why not some neon strips around the edge, the buttons and the inner edge of the lid?
That would be rude.

NFG

I didn't use neon or other large lights because I didn't want the lights as the focus, I wanted the system to be the focus.  Doing it this way reveals only the system, the Saturn itself is glowing (As a Saturn should).

Fix_Metal

was it already with that trasparency? (the case)
and what is this o_O? "painstaking cutting with the dremel tool"

NFG

QWERTY

Quotewas it already with that trasparency? (the case)
Fix_Metal, he cut the metal shielding.  Did you not look at the before\after pictures?

Segasonicfan

awesome...but why did you sell it on ebay??

-Segasonicfan
MY WEBSITE: https://segasonicfan.wixsite.com/retro
I design PCBs for retro game systems :)

NFG

Why not sell it on ebay?  Seemed like a good idea at the time.

Loud Minority

Nice job with the sale, $160 not a bad range and im sure you made a nice profit atleast... looked good, I wonder if it would be possible to do something like that but affix some sort of mirror or a way to reflect the light back out from the inside, like that part you cut with the dremel put a mirror or some reflective material on the backside to reflect the light back out .. i dunno looked good thou

Scared0o0Rabbit

Quote$160 not a bad range and im sure you made a nice profit atleast...
I've seen stock skeleton saturns go for $150 on ebay  :(  

Feeling Scared? ^_~

Quotewas it already with that trasparency? (the case)
Fix_Metal, he cut the metal shielding.  Did you not look at the before\after pictures?
well I didn't know what that words meaned :P (I am from italy, I don't know  english as well as italian :P)
lawrence...the saturn still worked without the shield protection?I mean, the metal divided the PCB from the AC/DC block...

NFG

Dremel isn't a word, it's the name of a tool.   It's a handheld high speed spinning tool, you can use it to cut, sharpen, polish, drill, etc.

http://www.dremeleurope.com/Europe.html

They're available in Italy too.  =)

As for the metal parts, they're not ALL necessary.  Most of the metal is there for RF shielding, and since I don't care, I cut it.  I left all the supports for the power PCB, including the plastic shield, so there's no danger of it shorting or anything.

Scared0o0Rabbit

I think I remember hearing a tale of someone who melted part of their saturn for leaving that plastic shield that was under the power supply out of the case and plugging it in/powering it up.

Feeling Scared? ^_~

NFG

I've done that before, shorted 100v with the shielding above the AV port.  Got some burn marks on the power PCB and some nice sparks, but nothing fried - didn't even blow a fuse.  Lucky me.  =)

davidleeroth

I've done that too. =) Exactly the same spot, 230V, pretty blue flash. It finished off my half-dead motherboard for good. The PSU was fine though.

Scared0o0Rabbit

The most fun I've ever had with parts doing that was in a pc, went to format my dad's old pc and re-install windows and everything after it had been unplugged for about 2 months.  Plugged it in, and BAM! fireworks!

Feeling Scared? ^_~

Fix_Metal

ihihihi little kaboom babies  :rolleyes:  :D
however, thank you lawrence. Now I know what is a dreamel tool :) (un trapano portatile!<--italian :P).
In my Dreamcast (that I'm preparing to mod...) I don't want to cut any metal parts. I've painted them with black brilliant spray, it's a good thing now. I made some photos, I'll post them when all the work will be done  :ph34r:  B)
Ehi dudes Happy Xmas and have a good new year :)

BETATESTER

thats awsum you need to put a walkthrough for this! or atleast how to get those pretty lights  :lol:  

HI! LAWRENCE,

I REALLY LIKE WHAT YOU DID ON YOUR SATURN

AND I AM (KINDA)  STARTING THE CASE MOD BUSINESS MYSELF.

AND AS MY FIRST PROJECT I WAS THINKING ABOUT A  NES CASE.

AND WAS WONDERING IF YOU HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS?

THANKS!

dj898

not sure of suggestion but I'm sure Lawrence has earfull of your shouting mate...  <_<

try to turn caps off...
no need to shout as we can read you in silence... o_O;

to lawrence and to dj898,

sorry about the caps lock thing. the keyboard i was using had a short

in it. but everything fine now. anyway do you have any beginner tips

in mind??  

thanks