LM1881 Alternative?

Started by phreak97, April 22, 2005, 01:32:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phreak97

im probably going to need a few of these, and if the setup does indeed cost about $5, i dont want to be buying a few of them:P
surely most if not all tvs and vcrs would have a sync separator in them somewhere wouldnt they? i have a bunch of old motherboards from these kinds of things in the shed. i found a couple of 8 pin chips beginning with 'LM' and will look them up later, but i'd like to know what are the chances of getting them working, and is there a list anywhere of different chips that will separate the sync from a composite signal?
the more money i can save, the better.

D-Lite

They can be had for about $2 each from Jameco or Digikey in even moderately small quantities.  And you wouldn't need to pry it from a board.  And the 2 caps and one resistor can be classified as dirt cheap.

phreak97

hmmm.. yeah, ill probably end up buying some, but i normally do my work from 10:30pm onwards, so any shops are closed.. its easyer to go out to the shed with a torch.
also being australian, im not going to buy the stuff online, itll cost too much for shipping.

having said that, ill probably go see if my local electronics store has them tomorrow.

Darklegion

www.national.com gives them away for free last time I checked.Just look up the part and request a few 'samples'.Free delivery as well.

Computolio

Quotewww.national.com gives them away for free last time I checked.Just look up the part and request a few 'samples'.Free delivery as well.

Whether or not they'll give them away for free is actually tied to your e-mail address. If they detect you're using hotmail or gmail or whatever, they'll charge you $10 for shipping. With a maximum sample order of 5 chips, that doesn't seem TOO bad.

phreak97

well.. im using my isp's supplied email address.. ill check it out.
meanwhile, i just paid freaking $10 for one, and they wont have it for me for like a week. so much for $5 for the whole lot of parts. try $10 for just the separator.

phreak97

i just ordered 5 samples from www.national.com.. if this works thatll be crazy.. $50 worth of parts for $0.

D-Lite

Hopefully it works out for you.  If you need a quantity of them, I live in the same town as Jameco (no shipping costs for me!), so I can pick you up 10-20 for like $2 or so each, plus tax.  Shipping to Australia by Global priority mail is only $5-9.

phreak97

thanks, ill keep you in mind;)

D-Lite

Quotethanks, ill keep you in mind;)
It would good to time that with the potential purchase of my PAL TG16 so it all goes in one package :)

phreak97

D-Lite, thankyou for the offer, but i have just been approved for 5 free lm1881 sync separators from national semiconductors.

as for the tg16, i would still love to take it off your hands but i do not know when i will be able to afford it, or even if you still have it.

viletim

In Australia, LM1881s can be bought from Futurlec (http://www.futurlec.com.au).They cost AU$3.50 each + $4 postage.

In case anyone's interested, here's (attached) a sync stripper circuit from the archives. It can be built for about 1/3rd of the price of a LM1881 from parts available form any electronics shop.

hmm...this forum doesn't like png files...

phreak97

thanks, but national.com does worldwide samples for free. if you want less than 5 a week, theyre the way to go. and $0 is less than $7.50 :P

thanks for taking interest in any case, any info is appreciated

D-Lite

QuoteIn Australia, LM1881s can be bought from Futurlec (http://www.futurlec.com.au).They cost AU$3.50 each + $4 postage.

In case anyone's interested, here's (attached) a sync stripper circuit from the archives. It can be built for about 1/3rd of the price of a LM1881 from parts available form any electronics shop.

hmm...this forum doesn't like png files...
That's cool, but spending time building a circuit you could buy for $2 in the US (or $3 Australian) seems foolish to me.  Unless of course the parts aren't readily available.  

phreak97

the free samples came from www.national.com today, i got 5 sync separators, and 5 of something else that im going to have to check up on cos i dont remember what they are. and all for free, i didnt even have to pay shipping :D

so i say free is much cheaper than $5-10

they ship worldwide, and you dont need a credit card, so i dont see why anyone wouldnt go there.