Mod a Snes to run java

Started by Chunk, April 20, 2005, 07:24:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chunk

Im a wannabe game programmer, with most of my experience in Java.

Ive had a pretty cool idea, but I dont know if it is possible. Basically, I want to mod a snes to run Java.

I thought about basically using a snes case and fitting a small hdd with mother board and processor. The controller would work with a USB adaptor. I would also net an RJ45 NIC, so that I could copy programs over to the hdd.

I would use a small OS like damn small linux, and would only need to install Java on top of that.

The only problem I see is getting Java to recognise the controller as an input device, and taking the video signal out to TV. I dont know how difficult this would be, but im sure its possible.

So does anyone think this is a cool idea? Is there anything im overlooking? Where can I pick up the hardware parts I need for a good price?

Thanks for reading.

:D

kendrick

So essentially, you're looking at a complete swap out for a motherboard that can run the Java VM, sports a network interface and uses USB input? Sounds like you could accomplish the same goal with less work by modifying an Xbox. The four controller ports are already USB-compliant, it outputs natively to every possible television signal and it's got the network card built in. More to the point, it'd be less work just to drop a new BIOS into the Xbox than it would be to drop a whole new motherboard into an SNES.

As an alternative, maybe explore an unmodded Dreamcast instead? Except for the very last hardware run, most Dreamcast consoles can run homebrew code without modification or special equipment. The network interface is hard to come by and all the input is proprietary, but you can boot BSD, Linux or Windows CE on them and there are Java environments easily available for all those operating systems.

Hope that's helpful. Next time you're feeling ambitious, check out homebrew Gameboy code and see how easy it is to put together applications for that platform too.

-KKC, resisting the urge to have dessert.

Chunk

QuoteSo essentially, you're looking at a complete swap out for a motherboard that can run the Java VM, sports a network interface and uses USB input? Sounds like you could accomplish the same goal with less work by modifying an Xbox. The four controller ports are already USB-compliant, it outputs natively to every possible television signal and it's got the network card built in. More to the point, it'd be less work just to drop a new BIOS into the Xbox than it would be to drop a whole new motherboard into an SNES.

As an alternative, maybe explore an unmodded Dreamcast instead? Except for the very last hardware run, most Dreamcast consoles can run homebrew code without modification or special equipment. The network interface is hard to come by and all the input is proprietary, but you can boot BSD, Linux or Windows CE on them and there are Java environments easily available for all those operating systems.

Hope that's helpful. Next time you're feeling ambitious, check out homebrew Gameboy code and see how easy it is to put together applications for that platform too.

-KKC, resisting the urge to have dessert.
Thanks for the info. The main reason I wanted to go for a snes is for the nostalgia effect.

I understand what you're saying about the xbox, I have linux running on mine now, and could probably do it on that instead.

If it turned out to be really cheap to get the parts for a snes, I would seriously consider trying it, but im not sure where to start looking for that type of hardware.

Just using the snes case does seem a little silly I guess.  :unsure:  

kendrick

Well, if you're looking to take advantage of the aesthetics of the SNES shell, then the thing I would do is explore mini-ITX PC motherboards. Considering the modular nature of the Java virtual machine (as well as the itty-bitty footprint) I might also consider the use of custom laptop boards. There's a variety of the IBM Thinkpad known as the PC110 that's incredibly tiny and packs some decent power for its age (486/25 machine with full VGA support in a space no larger than a DVD case.) You would, of course, have to hack a TV video output, which is actually an issue for most computing devices that only support digital output natively.

On the other hand, upon reflection the Xbox motherboard isn't all that big. If you leave out the DVD drive and swap in a laptop-spec hard drive, you could conceivably stuff all the Xbox components into an SNES case. Wouldn't be the first time someone stuck a wolf into sheep's clothing from a game mod standpoint, and would have the advantage of not requiring any externally loaded media.

-KKC, still brain dead after a long day at work.

Adeptus

Someone has done the ITX-in-a-NES already (well probably several somebodies, but at least one has put pics on the net)

Pretty neat, has a laptop DVD drive behind the cartridge flap, controller ports modded to take USB (I think? or PS2? had mouse & KB plugged into them)... but then he put a couple more controller ports on a parallel adaptor at the back! Why not just wire up the front ones to the adaptor?

Anyway... Not sure of the address, google for it...

ducktapevoodoo

a dreamcast would fit in a snes case real easy  

phreak97

yeah, it would, but where are you planning on putting the cd drive?