Average arcade pcb power consumption

Started by Hojo_Norem, April 14, 2005, 08:00:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hojo_Norem

Up until recently I have been powering my very small (but growing) collection of JAMMA boards with a 200W AT style PC psu.  Recently I got a Neo one slot and seeing that I have beel playin the heck out out of it I have noticed that the whine from my psu was quite noticable.

So I decided to try a Amiga 1000 psu (its rated at 25W, +5V at 3.0A, +12v at 300mA and -12v at 100mA) to power it and seems to be working OK for now running with my Neo playing Blazing Star using a Tototek PSX to Neo converter.

Sould this be OK for long use?  I can see it powering my Wonderboy board OK but will my Golfing Greats board fare as well?
Formerly 'butter_pat_head'

Aidan

It depends on what the boards need! Your 200W AT PSU is capable of kicking out far more power than the old A1000 PSU will be. As you point out, the A1000 PSU can only manage a grand total of 25W of power.
[ Not an authoritive source of information. ]

NFG

I just had a quick look at Sanwa's page, the lowest power PSU they offer is 7A for 5V, and 1A each for 12V and -5V, a grand total of (Unless my math is bad) about 55Watts.

Typically these are beefier than they need to be, and you may be fine with the Amiga PSU, but without all that extra breathing room you're facing serious risk of implosion and fallout.

Why does your 200W PSU whine?  Is it the cooling fan?   Replace it.

Hojo_Norem

QuoteI just had a quick look at Sanwa's page, the lowest power PSU they offer is 7A for 5V, and 1A each for 12V and -5V, a grand total of (Unless my math is bad) about 55Watts.

Typically these are beefier than they need to be, and you may be fine with the Amiga PSU, but without all that extra breathing room you're facing serious risk of implosion and fallout.

Why does your 200W PSU whine?  Is it the cooling fan?   Replace it.
I would do but I would rther have a silent psu.  Anyway, I have been digging around on google and have found out that the AES uses 8W on this page and as far as I know the AES is virtually the same as the MVS (except for the home/arcade differences).

If the 8W useage hold true for the MVS then my 25W A1000 psu should be OK for the time being.

atom

Whine is often caused by what I call PSU neglect. If you sit your PSU in some place where it collects a lot of dust it will overheat and the fan will surely die. Buy a can of AIR and a new 80mm computer fan.
forgive my broked english, for I am an AMERICAN

Hojo_Norem

QuoteWhine is often caused by what I call PSU neglect. If you sit your PSU in some place where it collects a lot of dust it will overheat and the fan will surely die. Buy a can of AIR and a new 80mm computer fan.
Thanks for the info.  The psu is actually one I pulled from a PC I was given and the fan that was in it previously wouldent even turn without some nudging.  So I replaced it.  I should have explained myself a little better.  It's not realy a whine but a audiable vibration coupled with the sound a fan usually makes (I don't think the replacement fan was a 100% fit).

Anywhey, the A1000 psu seems to be holding for now and after a couple of hours its about as warm as any other psu.

But if it does die, what are the chances of it catching fire or frying my Neo?

Aidan

QuoteBut if it does die, what are the chances of it catching fire or frying my Neo?
How long's a bit of string? It depends on the failure mode and the internal design of the PSU. Given there's more than one design of A1000 PSU, it'd be hard to tell you!
[ Not an authoritive source of information. ]

phreak97

why cant you get an old crappy computer and steal its power source?

Hojo_Norem

Quotewhy cant you get an old crappy computer and steal its power source?
Thats what I have done, but I want a silent power supply.  Also I would need to put the PC psu in a box cause it just looks ugly with all the wires and exposed metal.  Anyway, I had my Neo hooked up to the A1000 PSU at work today running for at least 5 hours with the psu slightly warm to the touch.  In fack the box I built for the Neo was warmer!  If you are curious, the model of A1000 psu I am using is a 391029-03 (the big'n light one).

D-Lite

Go to Jameco.  Search for "SC200".  Buy it.  

Supplies 4A on 5V and 1 A on 12V.  More than enough to run Neo MVS 1-, 2-, and 4-slots.  Totally enclosed tabletop PSU.

Hojo_Norem

QuoteGo to Jameco.  Search for "SC200".  Buy it.  

Supplies 4A on 5V and 1 A on 12V.  More than enough to run Neo MVS 1-, 2-, and 4-slots.  Totally enclosed tabletop PSU.
Thanks for the tip.  Just discovered that a A500 psu outputs +5v at 4A and +12v at 1A.  I only have one (need it for my A500) so I suppose its over to eBay to find another....

Computolio

I don't get why you're pulling apart an obscure old computer when you could visit just about any dumpster and walk away with about 4 or 5 old AT or even ATX PSUs to replace that whiny one you have.

Hojo_Norem

QuoteI don't get why you're pulling apart an obscure old computer when you could visit just about any dumpster and walk away with about 4 or 5 old AT or even ATX PSUs to replace that whiny one you have.
My reasons:

1.  The amiga isn't realy obscure over here
2.  But dumpsters ARE. (in the way you are probably thinking about)
3.  Even a AT psu in good condition makes a noise, like I said before I want a silent PSU.
4.  I am not pulling apart a computer, the Amiga psus are external.
5.  A amiga psu is a lot more tidy (and safe) to use than a AT psu (all them wires, even without its still a big metal box with sharp edges and switch on a wire thats connected directly to the mains.
6.  I would have to build a box for the AT psu.  Why re-invent the wheel?  Plus Im no good when it comes to that type of thing.