News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

Can this saturn work

Started by ORTA, April 10, 2005, 07:28:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ORTA

Is this sega saturn for real, can it really be used or modded to be a personal computer? :blink: :unsure:

http://www.gameparty.net/nieuws/item/3149/?

atom

You could mod a pepsi bottle to be a personal computer if you wanted, just shove the guts of one inside.
forgive my broked english, for I am an AMERICAN

kendrick

This isn't a mod so much as it is a case swap. That specific picture comes from a well-known miniature ITX board project, with a flip-top CD-ROM drive and the PCI board which accepts Saturn controllers for game input. I don't think that the PC in question is beefy enough to run a Saturn emulator, so this thing isn't much more than a PC in pretty armor.

-KKC, who had a mind to put together one of these monsters as a Saturn Basic dev station...

atom

Your nuts if you think this guys just whipped up some pci card for the controller ports, i will assume it was a typo. And although it would be cool it does not appear that the cd drive is top loading. It also doesnt like look the controller ports are functional in any way.

http://www.mini-itx.com/projects/saturnpc/gallery.asp
forgive my broked english, for I am an AMERICAN

NFG

"You're nuts", not "Your nuts".  What kind of board do you think this is?

There ARE PCI and ISA saturn controller cards available in Japan (or rather they WERE available, they're years out of production).

I could use one of those mini boards to finish my joystick.  The Shuttle Flex ATX board I was using has given up the ghost...

Aidan

Someday I'd like to do something similar to a Dreamcast (or at least, the casing). I know it's been done before, but not properly. Personally, I'd like to retain the flip lid DVD drive. I suspect that means gutting a laptop DVD drive, and mounting that in place of the original mechanism.

It'd also be nice to keep the original controller ports the same, but that's a fair chunk of work. As the DC already has a keyboard and mouse, as well as standard controllers, it'd probably end up being a USB to maple converter. Output would probably have to be via the existing AV connector, just to keep the looks.

The Mini-ITX boards so far aren't quite small enough, so perhaps it'd have to be SOM or Nano-ITX. Power supply boards should be less of a problem though.

Hard disk would have to be something small I'd guess, probably 2.5" or 1.8" drive?

No, I'm probably never going to get around to it, but I hate 'mods' that don't take form into account. Who cares that you can cram a Mini-ITX board into something when you have to have a great wacking PSU sitting next to it, or that you totally destroy the lines of the system by taking huge chunks out of the plastic.  
[ Not an authoritive source of information. ]

john

Akir

I gotta buy me one of those saturns (except with FreeBSD and a flip top DVD Writer). And lawrence,Thank you for continuing work on the Ultimate Joystick. I've been waiting for it for quite a while now. And I have a suggesion: Why don't you just put both Joysticks USB (If possible) and just plug in one of those micro Keyboards and Mouse? That way, you can use it as a personal computer!

NFG

The two joysticks ARE USB, though I think I've only wired up one so far.  I was planning to use wireless mouse + kb, but with the proper emu frontend there's really no need.