SEGA -> Game port

Started by Flash2000, March 30, 2005, 04:49:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flash2000

OK, I know the SEGA controller can be decoded (JAMMA decoder) but since the X and Y axis on the gameport uses a voltage divider on it to change the output voltage suppled to the computer, I was wondering if the decoder outputs, which are digital, could be converted to an analogue signal by the use of some digital potentiometer??

You can contact me via PM or at bo_selecta2!@!hotmail.com (remove the ! s)

~FLASH :D  

atom

Try not to use lingo you dont understand, nobody is going to make fun of you if you dont use fancy words. If I recall the Jamma standard is basically a pin for each button. Same thing for gameport except the Joystick axiss. You would need a few transistors and resistors or pots to convert the Up, Down, Left, and Right to the specific resistance.

Read more about gameport:
http://xavier.servercove.com/~atom/backup/...rs/gameport.htm
forgive my broked english, for I am an AMERICAN

Flash2000

Thanks for the info Atom.  I'm sorry about the lingo.  I just finished my electronics unit in physics so I may be talking about "Pottential Difference" and all that stuff.

But the only thing I can think of at this moment in time is to use a series of relays but, that would be too loud.
Although, if any of you guys can figure out a circuit that can change the resistance of an output when certian values are "high" (or anything similar), please tell me.

Aidan

Well, you can always use transistors instead of relays...

You might also want to investigate links like the following: http://www.epanorama.net/documents/joystic...ri_pc_converter

Ways to convert digital joypad/sticks to analog joypad/sticks have been around a long time - some of the early home computers used analog ports too!
[ Not an authoritive source of information. ]

Guest_Flash2000

YAY! :D

Looks like it can be done after all.
I'll hopefully have this done over summer (since I have exams and all) but, I will post Images about this.

I have decided to call it the SCUD project.

S = SEGA
C = Controller
U = Universal
D = Decoder

And this SCUD => Gameport converter is part of it so I'll be off to revise and then after I finish my exams I'll go down to Maplins and get all I need.