Genesis <> 32x timing issues?

Started by Lost Monkey, February 06, 2005, 06:46:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lost Monkey

I have a (long stalled) project I started where I am putting a 32x and Genesis in one case...

3 times I have soldered a 6-7" ribbon cable between the cart port of the Genesis and the 32x and all 3 times ended up with the same results...

Because I got the same results 3 times I am assuming that the soldering wasn't the problem...  <_<

The problem was, that some games would load up and then crash or have garbled graphics.. others wouldn't load at all... Tengen's Ms Pacman seemed to work 100%...

What I am curious about (and I don't have the equipment to test it - or the knowledge) is whether introducing the 6-7 inches of ribbon cable could cause timing issues in addition to the chance of their being signal strength issues...

Failing the use of a ribbon cable.. has anyone here seen a commercially available 64 pin female card edge connector at a 45 degree angle?

dum dum

the 32x is notorious for crashing and other general weirdness problems. the common cause for this is the 2 white ribbon cables that link the 2 32x boards together, try removing and reinserting them.

if your soldering the 32x and megadrive together you could try permanently replacing the 2 dodgy 32x ribbon cables with a hand soldered subsitute??

Lost Monkey

Quotethe 32x is notorious for crashing and other general weirdness problems. the common cause for this is the 2 white ribbon cables that link the 2 32x boards together, try removing and reinserting them.

if your soldering the 32x and megadrive together you could try permanently replacing the 2 dodgy 32x ribbon cables with a hand soldered subsitute??
Just a clarification.. the 32x is not malfunctioning because of the usual white ribbon cable problem.. after desoldering the leads, the 32x works normally in a different Genesis and in the project Genesis with the cart slot soldered back in...

school_atom

I think the problem may be that 7inches is just way too long, try shortening the cable as much as you can.