System Repair : Xbox

Started by xelatos, November 04, 2003, 03:27:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xelatos

I've got this X-box, and basicly what happens is - I plug it in, I push the power button, and nothing happens. That's pretty much the run down. Any ideas what I should check, or has anyone experienced similar problems?

benzaldehyde

Check the fuse. If no power, always check the fuse.

xelatos

I don't see a fuse on there anywhere...

benzaldehyde

I don't have an Xbox, but just about every system I've poked around in has one. With a system as complicated as the Xbox, I would only imagine there is one around. Lawrence has previously explained picafuses, which are small, resistor like elements that act as one-time fuses. When my SNES died, I poked around and found a blown picafuse to be the culprit. Upon replacement, the system worked fine. It would've been very foolish on Microsoft's part not to include proper protection from surges and the like. But... this is Microsoft we're talking about...

xelatos

I found it thinks to come online tutorial...some other guy experiencing a similar problem....
So I replaced the fuse...but I still get no response when I hook it up.  what gives?

Darklegion

A blown fuse is often not just from a power surge,but from something else going wrong in the power supply...I suggest you look for cracked solder joints on the power supply,and any other signs of damage....

Darklegion

A blown fuse is often not just from a power surge,but from something else going wrong in the power supply...I suggest you look for cracked solder joints on the power supply,and any other signs of damage....i.e burnt tracks on the solder side,broken traces,broken power connectors...maybe a faint burnt smell,which could indicate a burnt out component somewhere.