Bonding network connections

Started by Scared0o0Rabbit, November 02, 2003, 04:27:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scared0o0Rabbit

Fairly soon I'm going to be setting up a network at a house.  Since normal broadband isn't going to be available there, They want a satellite dsl connection.  The complication comes in that they want two satellite connections, and they want their network of computers to draw off of both of the connections equally.  So far I figured I'd plug both connections into a pc, and have it act as a server, then run proxy server software to serve to the other pc's on the network.  The problem is that I don't know how to make windows 2k draw equally off two internet connections (or does it do this automatically?).  Any help would be appreciated, or if this is the wrong way to do this and you can get me pointed in the right direction that too would be appreciated.

Thanks

Feeling Scared? ^_~

NFG

If Win2K has connection sharing like XP does just turn it on with the system connected to the internet, connect the other systems to this serving unit, and go.  There's no need or reason to set the connection to equal halves; that would just mean one computer is needlessly restricted whent he other's idle.  

Alternatively if you have a 486+ system kicking around, you can use Coyote Linux (A single-floppy distro) to do the server/firewall details.  I use it, it's far better than XP's sharing, 'cause when XP dies for no reason one afternoon there's no f**king way you can fix it.  Coyote just works.

Scared0o0Rabbit

so if I plug 2 satellite dsl  over ethernet connections into 2 seperate NIC's on a pc, then with a 3rd NIC I run an ethernet cable to a hub.  Then if I run 2k and a proxy server or that linux distro you suggested or something, I should be able to serve the internet to the rest of the pc's on the network right?  I mean, if it would be easier to do this with a router or 2 I could do that too.  As it is I have 2 switches, 2 routers, and a wireless bridge sitting around that I can build this network out of too.   I do have a spare pc right now that meets the requirements of that linux distro, though I would prefer to not have to do that if there is a better way to do this.

Feeling Scared? ^_~

Vertigo

You do realise that with a satellite connection any chance of real-time online gaming goes out the window, right? Turn-based would likely be fine, but stuff like FPS and that wouldn't work.

Scared0o0Rabbit

yeah, I dun do much pc gaming, let alone online pc gaming, it'll be kind of a shame that I have xbox live and it'll be useless now.  However,  my choices up there are dialup and satellite internet.

Feeling Scared? ^_~