Selling game bit (SNES etc) complete screwdrivers

Started by Shimarisu, December 17, 2004, 11:51:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shimarisu

Not the bits, but the complete screwdrivers. I find the bit type to be a problem when they won't fit in the screw shaft (PCE Super CD ROM2 is one example - no bit type will fit in the screw shaft). So I am offering these brand new Japanese alternatives.

I can supply the following at $19 each plus postage (will need to calculate postage depending on how many you buy).

SNES screwdriver (also for Gamecube, N64, PC Engine, TG-16, Core Grafx, original PC CD ROM interface, Nomad)
SNES cartridge screwdriver
Gameboy, GBA screwdriver (maybe cheaper than the others, will have to check cost of these as I forgot).
PC Engine Duo/Duo R/RX/Super CD ROM2 male hex security screwdriver (hole in centre for centre pin). This one is cheaper, $10.

I convert consoles for a living and sell them converted, so no way I'd usually offer these, but if people have come to this forum I figure they will already want to do their own, and not buy them off me. So this offer is for this forum only - I do not have links to a website. I do, however have ebay refs (power seller ID, 800+ feedback) - if you doubt my integrity you can buy them on Buy it now via my ebay account for a dollar more to cover fees. I can accept cash in US $ or equivalent UK pound sterling or Euro via Paypal.

POSTAGE FROM JAPAN IS NOT EXPENSIVE - roughly $1 per 100 grams to start with, getting lower and lower exponentially per 100 gram the higher weight you order.

Mail me at adol_christinjp@yahoo.co.jp.

Shimarisu

Also - if anybody in the US or otherwise needs them I can supply SCART type 21 pin Japanese RGB plugs and sockets. These will wire up to work on either monitors with the 21 pin, or SCART connections (just alter the pinout as given on this very site).

I've been asked for these before, so thought I'd throw it out there. Also I can supply any other JP only components provided they aren't tremendously expensive - I just don't have large amounts of cash to outlay.

atom

I don't think anybody wants your advertisements here.
If you were fabricating something new, unique, and interesting it might be a different story. You are just trying to make money off of Lawrence's bandwith.
forgive my broked english, for I am an AMERICAN

Shimarisu

On the contrary, the train ticket to Akihabara sucks up any profit I would make. These screwdrivers are not cheap, they cost over 3 times more than regular ones. I only offered this because somebody asked.

Yeah, you'd be paying for my train fare which is all good, I need excuses to go there. And I've contributed stuff in the past like a Famicom mod, was a long while back and I don't have the password for the account anymore.

CZroe

Well, Neo-Geo Man/NFGman wouldn't sell me one for $50 even though he has them listed right here so speak for yourself Atom.

I will be sending an email when I get my email client set back up.

BTW, the Virtual Boy requires these and that puppy is SCREAMING for a mod! Mine has some sort of scratch on the inside lense that I must fix...

NFG

It should be noted that page is about seven years old and reflects pricing for me to bring the things back to Japan and sell them from Canada.  It should also be noted that I don't have any to sell you at the moment.  

That said I don't have a problem with people posting services on the forum, tho if I see much more of it I'll have to create a section for them to go so they don't spam up the works.

Shimarisu

Lawrence, if you want to supply them via the site still, I can get you more and you can sell them, if you'd prefer that.

phreak97

thats an idea.. section for people to post 'services' (as lawrence put it). i guess that'd just be anyone selling anything related to console tech. in which case, i'd almost definately buy something from at least one person selling from the forums here. dunno if itll get enough posts, but if it did, that would be awesome.

question for Shimarisu: do the screwdrivers for the snes carts actually fit? lol.. i bought the bits off ebay, and even though the hole in the shaft fits the screw, the thickness of the shaft prevents it from fitting in the hole in the cart, not because the hole is deep, just cos it comes close arounds the screw, the problem is the same for nes carts (the ones using those screws at least, i've seen about three diff kinds of screws in nes carts).

also, any chance of some pics? the ones off ebay were alot crapper quality than described

Hojo_Norem

Quotei bought the bits off ebay, and even though the hole in the shaft fits the screw, the thickness of the shaft prevents it from fitting in the hole in the cart, not because the hole is deep, just cos it comes close arounds the screw, the problem is the same for nes carts (the ones using those screws at least, i've seen about three diff kinds of screws in nes carts).
I have had good experience with the bits that CPC sell

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/mo...=cpc/254192.xml

CPC homepage
Formerly 'butter_pat_head'

Shimarisu

Quotequestion for Shimarisu: do the screwdrivers for the snes carts actually fit? lol.. i bought the bits off ebay, and even though the hole in the shaft fits the screw, the thickness of the shaft prevents it from fitting in the hole in the cart, not because the hole is deep, just cos it comes close arounds the screw, the problem is the same for nes carts (the ones using those screws at least, i've seen about three diff kinds of screws in nes carts).

also, any chance of some pics? the ones off ebay were alot crapper quality than described
The screwdrivers do fit, I use them myself. The bit problem with a Super CD ROM addon for PCE was especially a problem, and the Nomad... jeez. These are about the thinnest shaft I've had, the old HK one I used to use did not fit the Nomad. SNES screw shafts are pretty wide, the Nomad being the worst.

I don't have pics ATM because my fiance put his foot through my scanner and I have to find a new one that doesn't cost 10000 yen. ><

CZroe

I sure would love to get my hands on some real full-sized drivers from anyone who could help.

FM-77

Quote from: CZroe on October 23, 2007, 08:48:59 AM
I sure would love to get my hands on some real full-sized drivers from anyone who could help.

www.ebay.com

kendrick

I recommend against eBay, only because I was really treated poorly by their customer support during a fraud claim. I was ripped off for the cost of a Dreamcast BBA from a seller in California named Vladmir Lubarsky. These days, I get all the games and accessories I need from reputable online retailers.

Jandaman is one such retailer, and he used to sell a whole 4.5 mm Game driver. However, I think this link is for the bit only, which doesn't go deep enough to undo a Nomad:

http://www.jandaman.com/games.mvc?p=gamebit45&Category_code=SNES

Barring getting a full Gamebit, there's a well-known hack that allows you to remove the things with a modified flathead screwdriver. The idea is that once you have the bolt out, you replace it with a standard Phillips head of equal thread count. Here's the link to that:

http://www.virtual-boy.org/projectvb/projects/Dissect.htm

NFG

I've been trading on ebay for nearly a decade with no troubles.  You'll usually be safe if you play it careful, and the cost of a set of screwdrivers is pretty low.  Even if you DO get ripped off, it's not likely to ruin your life.  =)

NeWmAn

I've been using for years a (cheapish) set of nut drivers, with those I've been able to open EVERY Nintendo/Sega/NEC security screw, even those inserted deep as in the GC.
The driver head won't fit the security screw shape, but keeping the driver pressed while applying rotation WILL remove the screw and it won't damage it, so you could re-screw it back.

CZroe

It's not going to fit around shafts that are only as wide as the screw. BTW, I saw a mode that involved putting copper rods in a nut driver to make an external linehead driver. Might wanna look that up if you need something more servicable. ;)

Link83

Sorry to bump such an old thread, but it didnt seem worth me starting my own for the same question. Where can you buy complete good quality Gamebit Screwdrivers?

There are high quality ones available in Japan, but I cant find anywhere that sells them online and will ship worldwide  :( I have tried emailing the person who started this thread but have got no reponse.

I already have just the bits, but they never seem to last very long, and they are not really suitable for getting into the really deep sockets.

TIA  :)

NFG

Quote from: Link83There are high quality ones available in Japan
These are just as likely to strip as the bits you've already got.  When I used mine a lot I was filing the tips down regularly to get past the sheared-off pins inside the driver.

The gamebit is designed to break the driver before the screw, much like Torx bits, so that you can go buy another driver and still get into your hardware instead of ruining the screw itself and being forced to apply more drastic measures to get inside.

I wouldn't worry too much about 'high quality' parts unless you're opening a lot of virtual boys and need the narrower shaft...  Just use more pressure and try not to let your hand drift when twisting the screw. 

Drakon

19$ + shipped *choke*

here's my solution.  Buy the cheap gamebit.  Attach some vice grips to it.  And there you go.  Gotta love vice grips

phreak97

gotta say i havnt had any trouble with gamebits stripping, (tbh i vaguely remember one stripping a loooong time ago, but i didnt think i'd ever bought more than the two i use now.. confusing) but i did need to open my virtualboy. i bought a full gamebit screwdriver off ebay, and when it turned up, it was short with a fat handle, the listing image had been stretched out! it wasnt long enough to reach into the virtualboy, and i ended up chopping off the bottom half of the handle so it would reach. also it was that really cheap crappy plastic like the screwdrivers you get from variety stores in a set of 5 for $2. this is what put me off ebay for these screwdrivers. on the other hand, the triwing screwdriver i got off ebay is excellent! it's still branded PENG FA, but it has a handle made of decent solid yellow plastic with a black rubber grip. it's very nice to use and fits every screw i've come across perfectly, from the tiny ds lite screws up to gamecube controller screws. (i thought they'd be a different size, but apparently the slot is just deeper so the top is fatter). the problem with recommending this type, is the listing i bought it from had a different screwdriver pictured, i dont know if they sent me the wrong one, but i never complained.

i'd still like some good rubber gripped gamebit's though. i'm using a rubbish bit driver with the two bits at the moment, and my smaller bit has been filed to fit the carts (still the same one from my ancient post earlier in this thread).