News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

Psu Alternative

Started by Sumez, February 12, 2005, 01:33:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sumez

I somehow misplaced my US SNES PSU. It's an American SNES model 2, and as far as I can tell, it takes the exact same PSU as the original US SNES.

So I was wondering if I could use a TurboGrafX-16 PSU for my SNES? I know a guy trying to sell a European TG16 PSU, and it's 10.5V and center negative. The US SNES is 10V and center negative, so I don't suppose there's any risk in using the TG16 one?

The reason I'm wondering is that the TG16 PSU isn't mentioned as an alternative in this otherwise very extensive guide: http://users.erols.com/tiltonj/games/tech/power.html

NFG

You realize of course the US SNES has a freaky bizarre connector that's not compatible with a single other thing, right?

Sumez

No... The only thing I ever got to notice about it before I lost it was that it's purple. Apart from that, it looks like any other PSU plug to me.

But now that you mention it, I think I might have tried plugging my PCE and NES PSUs into my SNES before, with no success.

Bummer.

A friend of mine actually has a European PSU that works with a US SNES. It even says SUPER NINTENDO on it. He bought it in Germany long ago, really odd. Heard anything about that?

atom

Before you hack up some Ac adapter for a rare console, go to radio shack.
They still sell their own NES\SNES power supplys.
forgive my broked english, for I am an AMERICAN

NFG

Whatever you do, never ever ever use a NES PSU on ANYTHING but a NES.  Original Nintendo NES PSUs are AC, and AC is death for any DC console.    The reverse is not true, which is why you see replacement PSUs for other consoles as well as the NES.

I don't remember if the Euro NES is the same...

The European SNES units (the UK release at least) uses a standard, if large, power connector.

phreak97

i had to replace my us snes psu cos the old one randomly died and revived itself (im in australia.. 240v here, the psu i had was a phone charger psu modded with the snes cable instead of whatever came with it). i took the cable from it and soldered it into a megadrive(gennesis)2 adaptor (the gamebit bits will fit the adaptor even though they are hex screws not gamebits(the euro one at least)).. it works fine, but seeing as you dont have the cable.. i dunno.. you could always hack a new female connector into your snes if you really cant afford a new psu

Sumez

QuoteWhatever you do, never ever ever use a NES PSU on ANYTHING but a NES.  Original Nintendo NES PSUs are AC, and AC is death for any DC console.
I'm fully aware of this. I'm not plugging any PSU into another system until I've checked that it won't do any damage.
I was thinking of my famicom, which is definitely DC. Either way, do you think I can use a 10.5V PSU on my 9V PCE (and 9V famicom) or will it burn it?
I know 1.5V officially shouldn't make a difference, but I'm not gonna try a TG16 PSU in my precious PCE until I'm 100% certain. You should know this, Lawrence..

Sumez

QuoteBefore you hack up some Ac adapter for a rare console, go to radio shack.
They still sell their own NES\SNES power supplys.
Oh yeah, I would love one of those. Unfortunately I don't think any store on MY continent still sells SNES PSU's :(