GBA Wirless Adapter...

Started by Lego614, October 31, 2004, 12:36:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lego614

I know a hard caple can be used to transfer data to a GBA through the link port, but can a GBA Wireless Adapter plus a 2.4Ghz bluetooth adapter (The band it uses) transfer the data the same way? If it could, I would be very happy!          B)  

Aidan

The answer is no, it won't work.

Bluetooth requires a significant amount of protocol overhead in order to offer the services it does. Additionally, it uses a frequency hopping mechanism to avoid interference.

As far as I can make out, the GBA wireless adapters just transmit on the same frequency, and use the basic serial format that the GBA cable uses.

That makes them incompatible on a number of levels!
[ Not an authoritive source of information. ]

Lego614

That's interesting, becasue the GBA CAN boot code from the Wireless adapter (it says so in the book - 1 game cart, many players) , but you may be right, I don't know how that is done.

Aidan

The GBA should be able to boot from it's serial port, regardless of the interface connected to it. However, the problem lies between the GBA's wireless interface and the way Bluetooth works.

Bluetooth technology works in a different way to the GBA's wireless interface (from what little I've dug up about it!) seems to work. This effectively means the Bluetooth dongle cannot communicate with the GBA's wireless interface.
[ Not an authoritive source of information. ]

atom

Right, think about it this way. They use the same frequency, but send COMPLETLEY different data. AIM and MSN communicate in the same way, but if you connect your aim client to MSN,  you aren't going to be able to send messages. If you are trying to load code directly into your gba, then you should try doing a direct interface with the port.
forgive my broked english, for I am an AMERICAN

Adeptus

May I suggest a new project for anyone who has the knowhow (& who cares enough to bother...)
Work out how to adapt a GBA wireless dongle so it can plug in to (& talk to) the PC... :D

atom

I think thats what he was getting at, but like I said, it would be easier and probably more effective to just do a wire connection.

and... its only a matter of days before the new ds is out
adeptus: I have read on an urban myth site that bill gates never said that about 640k.
forgive my broked english, for I am an AMERICAN