News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

Sega Saturn

Started by Cube, June 16, 2004, 05:29:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cube

Does anybody have a schematic as to how the Twin Sticks are built, so I can try to build my own from a couple of old joysticks? (gutted and such, of course)

I'm looking to get back into Virtual-On, but finding myself wishing for arcade control... and twin sticks seem nearly impossible to find these days.

Noticing that the Sega Saturn controllers are incredibly simple (with perhaps the analog pad being more difficult as I've never had one apart..) I think this should be a fairly easy project.

yaen

arn't they just abxy as directions ? ive never had a chance to see them myself but that generaly the idea I have since it is possibly to play virtual on without the twinsticks.

im not sure which 4 buttons are used, but im guessing it is those. you could always try modding the directions to different buttons and see what happens.

NFG

It's two joysticks in a shell.  The mechanism is identical to any other joystick.  The encoder is identical to any normal Saturn pad.  If, by schematic, you want to know which button goes where, I may have that info somewhere.

Keep in mind that you could figure it out yourself with a bit of wire inside your normal pad...

Cube

well, any info you might have would be appreciated, Lawrence, but this isn't a big priority, more of a curiosity thing.

Strychnine

I was under the impression that the Saturn twinsticks had a special PCB, and were not the same as a saturn pad? I was asking around on arcadecontrols...pretty much the same question, a while ago - and got that response (that its a different type of setup). Also, I thought that the reason that you could only really use the Twinsticks on the dreamcast with a Total Control 3 (as opposed to the other saturn -> DC converters) was because the twinsticks utilized that special PCB.  

NFG

Whoever told you that was confused.  The Dreamcast uses a special version of the DC's controller chip, the Saturn does not; it's the same as the chip from a normal Saturn pad.  

Strychnine

That's good news. So why is it that it functions incorrectly when not using a Total Control 3 (and/or even if you have it set in the wrong mode)?

Edit: "The Dreamcast uses a special version of the DC's controller chip..." what do you mean exactly? Are you refering to the Dreamcast Twinstick?

benzaldehyde

w000000t!!! Damnit you guys! Stop coming up with awesome projects for me to do!

Lawrence, I think I remember (many thousands of years ago) that you had once constructed a set. Are there any good sticks you would reccommend for constructing such a device? Having only recently run across a Virtual On arcade (and spending a fortune on it), I'd want to recreate the arcade feel. :) Of course, I'll take some notes next time I'm there. :lol:

NFG

If you want to make VOOT sticks you need two stick mechs with two buttons in each stick; for this purpose I think you're best off retro-fitting a set of Saturn or DC sticks.  I have a few new Saturn sets here if you need one.

Quote"The Dreamcast uses a special version of the DC's controller chip..."
This should have read: "the Dreamcast TwinSticks use a special version of the DC's controller chip."  Each DC controller type identified itself as a specific controller; normal pad, fighting pad/stick, twinstick, keyboard, gun etc.  The DC knows you've plugged in twinsticks 'cause the twinsticks tell the DC what they are.  The Saturn, 'cause it uses the standard controller IC, doesn't know what controller's attached.